Streaky Film

When you take the film from the roll do you hang it up straight away ? i was taught to take an end in each hand and pull hands apart about 7 times and it shakes most of the water off

I squeegee my film because I almost always get water spots if I don't, but I accept that there could be scratches. I usually don't get any though, possibly because I rinse my squeegee blades with hot water and clean the blades with my finger each time I use it... *shrug

I never used to agitate on photoflo, just pretty much dip and remove. There really isn't any need, provided that your solution is pre-mixed. It's just there to lower the surface tension so that there is no visible residue left behind.

I agitate for 20 seconds, wait another 20 seconds, then hang it to dry. If I leave it in the photo-flo too long, it seems to do more harm than good.

I squeegee my film because I almost always get water spots if I don't, but I accept that there could be scratches. I usually don't get any though, possibly because I rinse my squeegee blades with hot water and clean the blades with my finger each time I use it... *shrug

I usually squeegee color film, because I always seem to get water marks from the stabilizer if I don't (and I mix everything with distilled water). B&W, I just hang up and let it drip. As long as I don't leave it in the photo-flo too long, I never have issues with B&W...

I take care to keep the squeegee clean too - so far, no scratches - lol.

^^^ agitating photoflo may introduce suds which can leave residue on your film. There really isn't any reason to agitate photoflo.

You agitate anything which needs to actually "do" something, things which need to penetrate the emulsion evenly. Photoflo, as I said, is just a surfactant.

Why not just put the roll back in the fixer for 2-3 minutes and then rinse like it should have been done. I think that would disolve any fixer left into a soluble solution again and just wash away. I just found some of the negatives from 60 years ago and I guess I did them right because they are still printable.

Most reactions

Back