Street Photography, 1950s Style

sillyphaunt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bugshots.net
Here's a few prints I developed yesterday from my grandfather's stash. The envelope that had these negatives said "Seattle Trip, April 1953". I have no idea where they actually are in the city, if anyone had any idea that would be awesome!

seattle4.jpg

seattle3.jpg

seattle2.jpg

seattle1.jpg

Kylie,

Thanks for sharing. I love the old images. My father and grandather were both avid photographers and I love looking at the old prints. These are excellent.

Eric

these are wonderful treasures you have! seems they've been well taken care of. look at all the cablecar lines; don't see much of that anymore unless you're in san fransisco. hope you have more to share. :thumbup:

JonMikal said:
these are wonderful treasures you have! seems they've been well taken care of. look at all the cablecar lines; don't see much of that anymore unless you're in san fransisco. hope you have more to share. :thumbup:

I'll be posting them as I get them printed. I have a box of about 300 negatives, so I'm slowly making my way thru them. Its like digging thru a treasure chest each time :)

Ah, it's you working on that big treasure again that you found. Hey, you must be soooo thrilled by it all!

I take it you got your own darkroom? I can just about imagine the excitement when the first faint outlines of the photos begin to show in the developer bath, to become stronger and clearer - such fun! I can't wait for more. I love to see all those old cars and the clothes fashion of the time!

These are wonderful, thanks for sharing these with us.

LaFoto said:
Ah, it's you working on that big treasure again that you found. Hey, you must be soooo thrilled by it all!

I take it you got your own darkroom? I can just about imagine the excitement when the first faint outlines of the photos begin to show in the developer bath, to become stronger and clearer - such fun! I can't wait for more. I love to see all those old cars and the clothes fashion of the time!

Don't I wish! I use the darkroom at our college. I only have access on Tuesdays and Thursdays (when I can get babysitting for the 3 or 4 hours that I usually like to have to develop), and I also have to use a lot of that time to develop film for my photography class, so I don't have as much time as I'd like, but I am slowly getting thru some of them. Some day I'll have my own darkroom.. Some day... :)

You are so lucky to have found such a treasure trove of great shots. I love that one with all the cables over the street. You're grandfather has a great eye!

These are all incredible shots! You must be thrilled - I know I would be. The ones of the docks are particularly good. You could give these an amazing retro feel if you decided to sepia tone them. They'd knock your socks off, and probably the rest of your family, too. ;)

Either way you have genuine family treasures. Wonderful stuff! :D Thanks for sharing!

I really like the second with the electric bus wires. Seems your Grandfather had a very good eye with the camera.

Wow, glad you shared these. I love old photos and I agree with others, the second one is wonderful. :)

Most reactions

Back