Street photography making it easier

You can not realistically shoot people on the streeet without making them uncomortable, it simply is a part of this genre and you have to be prepared for negative reactions. Very few people like being photographed by strangers. So the only thing you can do it not to look strange? weird or creepy. Yes, keep smiling, but avoid eye contact, do not stare at them while thinking how to frame a shot, do not shoot more than twice and keep moving - this is all good advice. And if you look friendly without trying to be "personal" (can not find the proper word) they may sometimes look friendy as well, especially kids.

Girls_w.jpg

Taking the picture is relatively simple once one has the technique for being unobtrusive and non-annoying.
What is difficult is finding pictures that are not just snaps of street scenes that a street level automatic camera could catch but scenes that actually mean something beyond the content.

If pictures don't have any impact or meaning beyond the subject, what use is there in taking it beyond proving one's ability to press a shutter button?

Just be warned that if you literally shoot from the hip, expect many of your efforts - at least early ones - to look like this:

Day 283 - Off kilter crosswalk
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

I always sucked at it. I don't even try it anymore. I might not always put the viewfinder all the way to my eye, but I at least bring it up and aim it at the scene.
Many of my DC shots look exactly like this!! lol

Try driving around in an Ice Cream Truck/bicycle.
You should get plenty of great street photography that way. :)

I shoot for HDR so I use a tripod. Sometimes if I see a potential subject on the street, I first set up almost beside the potential subject then start shooting facing away. This gives the potential subject a chance to "get to know" me by watching me do my thing, and perhaps wonder why I'm shooting such a so-so scene. Perhaps thinking I'm really nothing more than a clod hobbyist shooting anything with a tripod, the potential subject gets bored and I ultimately become invisible in his or her field of vision. I then step back, swing my camea around, and include the subject in my shot.

4dzlw.jpg

"Yearning" from my "Solitude in New York City" series.

I try to blend into the street ... to hide in plain sight. This is largely mental. If you feel awkward, if you feel as if you don't belong there ... other will immediately notice and sense that also and you cover is blown. People's first reaction is defensive ... you need to defuse that defensive reaction of "What the hell are you doing here with a camera ...?". By blending in that first reaction is that you belong here ... you are as much of the street as that doorway or street lamp. Once you manage to blend in you are no longer foreign or an intruder and you have a higher acceptance and less confrontations. People do not want to be exploited. People do not want to feel that they are exhibits at the zoo. Shoot with respect.

I've been shooting Streets for decades. Typically with two cameras and a camera bag and always with the viewfinder. Blending will take a while to develop. In the beginning just shoot and walk.

On-Broadway-3-UE.jpg

circa 1970-ish

IMG_3042-01.jpg

circa 2007

DSCF5886.jpg

circa 2014

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
Gary

I've always had trouble with street photography. My friends tell me that they were intimidated with my tall and imposing posture before they knew me. I never realized that about myself, but my faces expression naturally leans more towards a frown. I cant help that. So how do i, or rather: how do you make your street photography life easier without scaring people away or making them uncomfortable?
If you're that tall, maybe they won't notice what you're doing up there? ;)

I tend to agree with the walk and shoot to start with, as most people won't realize what you're doing until you're already walking away.

One technique I used when the person was clearly aware: I tilted the camera and pretended to focus on something else just around them.. the building above them, something in the street, or the sidewalk, you get the idea. Once they realize they're not in the shot, they look away, I grab the shot quickly. It's worked to a certain extent. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back