Street Photography.

This is something I've always wanted to do, but haven't really had the motivation to try (yeah, I'm lazy, gimme a break). There is an artwalk the first Friday of every month here, and I think I'll bring my camera next time, since it is the art/hippie/most likely to be high sorta crowd and most people probably wouldn't mind a camera in their face.

One question-- do you need people to sign a waiver sorta thing, or is that only if you plan on making money off the shot?

Those street shots are amazing Gary. Some of the best I've seen. I guess you really just have to be relaxed, and to make the "hard rocks" feel relaxed enough to be able to get their shot without them trying to pull attitude with you...

This too is one photographic challenge I yearn to tackle. I can relate to the self-conscious feelings of having the camera out...all kinds of feelings, like "I've got the camera out, so there must be something important to take a picture of" - the looks that I feel I get from people, etc.

I agree with the comment about a beer or two...helps to take the edge off.

One question-- do you need people to sign a waiver sorta thing, or is that only if you plan on making money off the shot?

I've wondered the same thing. From what I understand, if people are in public, they're fair game. As long as you aren't shooting them and using the shot for a commercial product (advertisement basically)...if you are selling the print as art, it's ok. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about this will elaborate or correct me.

Those street shots make me wish I were living in the city. I have the Alaska range right out my front door but no where to shoot a crowd.

Those street shots are amazing Gary. Some of the best I've seen. I guess you really just have to be relaxed, and to make the "hard rocks" feel relaxed enough to be able to get their shot without them trying to pull attitude with you...

This too is one photographic challenge I yearn to tackle. I can relate to the self-conscious feelings of having the camera out...all kinds of feelings, like "I've got the camera out, so there must be something important to take a picture of" - the looks that I feel I get from people, etc.

I agree with the comment about a beer or two...helps to take the edge off.

Thanks MarcusM. Dunno about relaxed ... focus is what works for me ... I'm concentrating on "The Shot" ... all else is secondary. People get upset when they feel that they are being exploited. Having been a photo journalist, I take that professional attitude into the street. I dress and act professionally and with purpose ... this combo, I think, helps to deflect the feel of exploitation.

Gary

I've wondered the same thing. From what I understand, if people are in public, they're fair game. As long as you aren't shooting them and using the shot for a commercial product (advertisement basically)...if you are selling the print as art, it's ok. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about this will elaborate or correct me.

Generally, if the person is in public then they are fair game to photograph. You only need a waiver/concent/release if you use the image for a commercial enterprise (advertising/marketing/promotion). For more info go to www.photoattorney.com.

There are exceptions to this generality ... some restrict and others expand the general statement. There is the "expectation of privacy" which you should be aware. Essentially, if a person has an expectation of privacy ... then they are no longer fair game. So say a person busts a button with an embarrassing result. If that person ducks down an alley or into a doorway to recover you cannot chase them down and snap a few off.

Gary

Gary, they're very good. They're also proof that you can't sneak or steal a good image. You need to get close. To the original poster, find a good prime lens (28mm works well for me, others like 35mm) and go take some pictures of people. No one's actually going to hit you... they may yell at you, but just smile and most will smile with you, or at least leave you alone. If anyone asks, you tell them truth - you like photography, you like pictures with people in them, and the whole scene struck you as visually interesting.

Well one thing i've been really wanting to do is capture some photography from the streets. I think people make the best subjects in photographs, and that's one thing i very very rarely do, is photograph people.

Whenever i'm in the two cities near me (Glasgow & Edinburgh) there's always lots of things that make me laugh, lots of emotional people, people full of character and all that jazz.. it's always interesting - That's the reason i wanted to take my camera!

I went to Glasgow today to have a stab at it with my 35-80mm lens, i could have used my 70-300mm but i didn't want to cheat or feel like a peeping tom and wanted to break the ice and get right in there.. as it's something i've never done before.

Initially i walked about without even the camera in my hand and didn't feel comfortable whipping it out. Eventually i got it out and took a few architectural shots and started from there. To be honest, i never got many shots off at all.. i just didn't feel right pointing it in peoples faces and i didn't feel comfortable trying to do it "on the fly" by shooting from the hip etc.. and i was so conscious of the loud shutter as well.

I did, however get a few off in a crowd of folk watching some drama act... and once i shot a few in there it was pretty easy to keep going even though i was breathing down peoples necks at the time!.. after i walked into the open streets again i didn't get any off once more.

I did meet one guy though, and well, that's another story which hasn't yet ended which i met let yous in on at a later date, i got his photo but he decided to pose so i didn't want to say no and just took what i could.

I really think this type of photography can be really rewarding in all ways. Not only getting those really insightful, interesting, and hopefully captivating photo's of strangers, but also meeting people and generally walking about the city with no direction to go takes you places you've never been or seen before. I just wish i lived closer to the city as i could easily do this every other day to get more experience and confidence doing so.

I'll post the pics i managed to get once i develop my film (probably in the next day or two)

I once shoot some street images, and happened upon a very colorful trans gendered individual. I went ahead and shot the image, then the person promptly crossed the street and started swearing at me, and chased me down the street. I was only 16 at the time, and it was very unsettling, but you know what, I got back into it, but know I usually use some gesture to ask if it is ok, then let the people go about their business, then shoot the image. Most people are pretty cool about it that way.

Good bit of interest in here, good to see! In a way i'm glad to see that there's people with the same feelings as me lol, means there is hope yet (oh and a Guinness or two might help as you say) .. in case noone noticed in the galleries, here's some pics that i had taken the first time i was out

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122611

I recently bought a FED-4 with the 52mm 2.8 lens on it, fixed a few problems with it last night and i'm tempted to go out shooting today, but it is wet so i'm hanging off a bit! urgh.

Gary, your street photos are brilliant! some real character and in-sight there.. one day.... one day.

Good bit of interest in here, good to see! In a way i'm glad to see that there's people with the same feelings as me lol, means there is hope yet (oh and a Guinness or two might help as you say) .. in case noone noticed in the galleries, here's some pics that i had taken the first time i was out

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122611

I recently bought a FED-4 with the 52mm 2.8 lens on it, fixed a few problems with it last night and i'm tempted to go out shooting today, but it is wet so i'm hanging off a bit! urgh.

Gary, your street photos are brilliant! some real character and in-sight there.. one day.... one day.

Very cool, don't stop , I love the angles!

One other thing i'd be interested in is your technique and what works for you.

What sort of clothing do you wear?
What camera do you use?
How do you carry your camera?
Any decoys?

I was thinking about this and i decided to dress casual, you know, even combat style trousers etc (not-camo lol), just casual but not particularly serious looking. Another thing i was thinking about as i'll be using the FED-4 is perhaps slinging the SLR over my shoulder, people are likely to notice that more than what's in my hands and give me that extra time to get the candid.. not sure if this would work though or whether it'd be a burden but again it gives me a back up and a fail-safe for tricky light etc. Whether to take my monopod with me which could again distract from what's in my hands and a little more versatility, or would i then look a bit photojournalistic (i made that word up).

So what's your techniques?

One other thing i'd be interested in is your technique and what works for you.

What sort of clothing do you wear?
What camera do you use?
How do you carry your camera?
Any decoys?

I was thinking about this and i decided to dress casual, you know, even combat style trousers etc (not-camo lol), just casual but not particularly serious looking. Another thing i was thinking about as i'll be using the FED-4 is perhaps slinging the SLR over my shoulder, people are likely to notice that more than what's in my hands and give me that extra time to get the candid.. not sure if this would work though or whether it'd be a burden but again it gives me a back up and a fail-safe for tricky light etc. Whether to take my monopod with me which could again distract from what's in my hands and a little more versatility, or would i then look a bit photojournalistic (i made that word up).

So what's your techniques?

This is what I do , I always follow a quote from the movie Trading places. In one scene the butler says "whatever happens sir, just be yourself, they can't take that away from you" If you are just chillin, then most people just plain ignore you , then get your shot.

I used to use the monopod but you are right it is sort of distracting. I just use my D300 , with one of those wrist straps, that helps keep the camera steady, I forget what it is called, but it works like a champ. It is funny I am reading this, since I have not shot street stuff in a long while, and was actually going to go do some next week. I want to go to a really seedy part of town, and shoot some homeless folks, but for that I think I will take someone along , just in case.

Before I bought my Coolpix L10 I was so interest in Coolpix S10. That tilt screen camera is the best way for candid photography. But since I did really want DSLR therefore I had to bypassed it and get the D40 instead. I have quite few people shots by it since then, just too lazy to upload them

Today was supposed to do the shooting but it was cloudy, windy and light rain too, so I went shooting in my old work place, look like dead place now, sad place to visit. But I still have another day off tomorrow to go to the city.

I am very interest with flexible lcd for candid shots, but I wait until Christmas if Nikon produce one, otherwise I will go to Lumix.

Great pictures Gary. K Pugh - I stay in Glasgow - small world - in case you are up for going out shooting some time.

I dont think you have to be up close to get a good image. There are lots of different ways of working. The tilt screen cameras are great - like a canon G5 or olympus C-7070 - Alex Majoli mentions about how much he likes these also. Still find it difficult to leave hands on SLR/DSLR though. A rangefinder with a tilt screen perhaps?

I totally agree with the more experienced photographers talking about the instinct of knowing when you can or can't take a photo but sometimes it's not going to be ok - but you still want that image - and in these instances stealth is important. Rangoon is different to LA. Maybe I'm taking slightly off point as we were originally talking about Glasgow but I thought I'd throw my thoughts into the discussion none-the-less.

Most reactions

Back