Street Photography

r2glittiz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm too shy. Yesterday I was in the city and I spotted this incredibly sad homeless man and I desperately wanted to take a picture but I didn't, because I am shy and partially because he looked a little nuts and I wasn't in the mood to be chased down George st in the rain.
I'm fine at taking them if I know no one is watching me.
I bet I'm the only one with this problem.

Everyone has this problem. If you are interested in street photography you must get over it. During my short stint photographing the streets of NYC I quickly grew a pair and nothing was going to stop me. I also realized that photographing the homeless is a whole different story. These folks need a lot of respect and time when shooting. Otherwise the photos are just cliche.

Love & Bass

I find a peace offering of 5 to 10 bucks usually warms things up. You need the shot, they need the money, everyone's happy. Even if they say no, I hook them up. That's how I got these two:

1-1.jpg

1-3.jpg

Ya, it affects me psychologically too if I get turned down. But I boldly ask and when they approve, it takes me to high heavens. Usually I entice them with a photomodel release form which stipulates "that model shall share half of the future net proceeds". I also got contacts from university where there are students desperate for money to pay their tuition. If you plan to shoot 'nude' tell the ladies to bring along a friend for safety purposes.

Last edited:
I'm too shy. Yesterday I was in the city and I spotted this incredibly sad homeless man and I desperately wanted to take a picture but I didn't, because I am shy and partially because he looked a little nuts and I wasn't in the mood to be chased down George st in the rain.
I'm fine at taking them if I know no one is watching me.
I bet I'm the only one with this problem.

I have that problem too, i am very shy and have difficulty approaching people I don't know, but just a couple of weeks ago I found this photography project called 100 Strangers, some people find it a good way to help with shyness. They also have a flickr page. Flickr: 100 strangers. I am planning on starting this project with in the next couple of weeks.

I am slowly working up the courage but I personally find that once someone is aware their picture is being taken the moment is gone. I find the 'candid' the best.

But I'll get there eventually.

If shooting portraits of strangers is too much initially, consider a middle ground. Pick an interesting spot, point your lens at it, and wait for people to walk into it. Garry Winogrand got some of his best shots that way.

Yeah I have found that works at times. I kind of did that the other day as a matter of fact, I was on the ferry and there was a cute couple cuddling a few rows down so I took photos of them whilst pretending to take pictures of the Harbour Bridge :p

I have been shooting street photography for a few years now. It takes a while to get past the shyness, but eventually you will find your comfort zone.
Iron Flatline makes a great point. I too did that when I was starting out, and it helped gain confidence.
Just keep trying, and you will feel better every time. :D

I don't see the point of taking snapshots of the homeless and I would define snapshots as photos with no effort at technical quality and no effort at creativity or artistic composition.

From an artistic point of view, the photo MUST say more to the viewer than simply "this person is homeless" to progress beyond the level of a simple snapshot.

skieur

I don't see the point of taking snapshots of the homeless and I would define snapshots as photos with no effort at technical quality and no effort at creativity or artistic composition.

From an artistic point of view, the photo MUST say more to the viewer than simply "this person is homeless" to progress beyond the level of a simple snapshot.

skieur

Its about capturing a moment of emotion, taking photographs of something real that isn't necessarily just another pretty person or place. I wasn't wanting to take a photograph that says ''this person is homeless'' but to capture his unique look of intense sadness and the conditions he lives in.
Each to their own but give me reality and emotion in a photograph any day over a photograph of something everyday & 'beige'.
People can take amazing photographs outside of a studio. People like Robert Capa who risked his life everyday to provide society with the reality of the Vietnam War. Those are what you say 'snap shots' and they are utterly amazing and can define a time in our history.

I have been shooting street photography for a few years now. It takes a while to get past the shyness, but eventually you will find your comfort zone.
Iron Flatline makes a great point. I too did that when I was starting out, and it helped gain confidence.
Just keep trying, and you will feel better every time. :D

I am slowly plucking up the courage, I guess its just a personal thing that I have to get over, but its a progressive thing.
I will give what you and Flatline says a go :) Hopefully I can get some good shots to be more motivated to do it more often :)

skieur

Its about capturing a moment of emotion, taking photographs of something real that isn't necessarily just another pretty person or place. I wasn't wanting to take a photograph that says ''this person is homeless'' but to capture his unique look of intense sadness and the conditions he lives in.
Each to their own but give me reality and emotion in a photograph any day over a photograph of something everyday & 'beige'.
People can take amazing photographs outside of a studio. People like Robert Capa who risked his life everyday to provide society with the reality of the Vietnam War. Those are what you say 'snap shots' and they are utterly amazing and can define a time in our history.
Well described, glittiz.

Good hunting!

Oh, btw, I have one too. I waited in front of this store on Melrose in West Hollywood all afternoon... and the best shot ended up being a man that seemed off-kilter and probably homeless.

1167868903.jpg

Most reactions

Back