This may help you WNYC - WNYC Street Photography Project
Take a look at Bruce Gilden he has the same problem as you :lol:

These are some of mine taken from waist hieght, film and digital
692259337_wU9E5-L.jpg

692260156_dNavf-L.jpg

692260396_t5yfY-L.jpg

702264886_QuQuY-L.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see the point of taking snapshots of the homeless and I would define snapshots as photos with no effort at technical quality and no effort at creativity or artistic composition.

From an artistic point of view, the photo MUST say more to the viewer than simply "this person is homeless" to progress beyond the level of a simple snapshot.

skieur

Its about capturing a moment of emotion, taking photographs of something real that isn't necessarily just another pretty person or place. I wasn't wanting to take a photograph that says ''this person is homeless'' but to capture his unique look of intense sadness and the conditions he lives in.
Each to their own but give me reality and emotion in a photograph any day over a photograph of something everyday & 'beige'.
People can take amazing photographs outside of a studio. People like Robert Capa who risked his life everyday to provide society with the reality of the Vietnam War. Those are what you say 'snap shots' and they are utterly amazing and can define a time in our history.

I don't think that in most cases you are capturing any moment of emotion, when you are asking him to simply pose, look at the camera and you take a snapshot. You may project your own emotion but many homeless would tend to reject your own characterization of many of them as "intensely sad" because of their conditions. I suspect their concern is practical survival and for many emotion has been trod under by everyday needs and is not a part of their psychic makeup at all.

Moreover I tend to think the most effective shots of the homeless are of those where they are interacting with others and with their environment. A more "journalistic" approach is of more value and more visually interesting than simply: "This is a homeless person".

skieur

You have a few options. The "easy" one is get a telephoto.

I do mainly street shots but I still have similar problem. Even though I feel comfortable most of the time taking photos, there are times when you just know that they aren't going to like being in front of the lens. If that's the case, you just have to find other ways to take the shot if you really want it badly.

It really depends on the culture and the context. In a busy downtown area where lots of activities are going on, people are less suspicious about photographers because they are expecting tourists anyways. In small local events where everyone knows everyone, being an outside with a camera, even in the public, can be tough. I've been mistaken to be from the press trying to document any illegal things that may be taking place and was unwelcomed. A few years later, I was back at the same place at the same event by the same people(they've forgotten me) and everyone welcomed their photos to be taken. That's because the context had changed. Before, the public think negatively of the media, so they thought I was a journalist. Later, there was a popular soap opera playing on the TV about the very people I was photographing. It made them proud to be known, so they welcomed my shots.

A person with a camera can have many different identities. Investigative journalist, tourist, documentary journalist, government officials, lawyers, investigators. The last thing they will think about are "just people who like to take photos". So in this case, the trick is, which of the listed above(and more) do you want to be seen as? Pick the one that fits the context best and it should work.

I found myself downtown a few days ago and tried a little bit of street photography. I didn't really come away with any shots that were worth mentioning but it was an interesting experience that I'd like to try again. Course my mood was kinda ruined when I had some idiot traffic aide telling me not to take pictures of people without their permission but next time I might just take a picture of her just to annoy her! How's that for emotion lol

I suspect their concern is practical survival and for many emotion has been trod under by everyday needs and is not a part of their psychic makeup at all.

I agree with Skieur. Maslow's theory at work...

I always get pretty nervous too when I want to get a shot of a homeless person too! Im always scared their gonna freak out an start chasing me or stab me! :whip: ahahhaha

I bet I cold end up with some realllly cool shots if I could get them to look at me... Ive got some nice ones of them looking away, so i could only imagine the intensity

This is one I got at 3rd street promenade.. poor guy! lol

4189546507_6e3c5b2869_o.jpg

I have that problem as well. But if you do not take that chance you could be missing out on an amazing photo. Here is my street shot.

4457219305_23676921e3.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back