Strobe begginer . . . need some suggestions

VltnDennis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sup guys well i already have a nikon sb600 and some tripods. Im going to order some wireless trigger out of ebay but now the question is , im looking for a cheap flash just to get a lil more light since my main will be the sb600. take in mind that im only doing this as a hobby. I saw a vivitar flash for like $40 on ebay now is this any good?

The vivitars are great for what you want. I myself use a Canon as my main flash with Vivitar 285HV's as my fill flashes.

What Vivitar model was it? The 285HV is a very useful flash, normally for about $90 new, there is also the old 285 and 383? I think, not sure on the last model number, but those can be found cheaper used, because the trigger voltage is to high and will damage modern cameras, however they work fine with most off camera triggers.

The Vivitars are built pretty cheap and recycle time is slow at full power, but they are a very good bang for your buck. I have several and they work well for my needs.

theres a sf 4000 model , thats around $40 . . . i thought i might work pretty nice for a "fill" flash

Why not just stick with the single off-camera SB-600 that you already have, until you really understand and know what you're doing with "strobist" lighting, before moving to two off-camera flashes?

vivitar will work fine....but make sure its a model with variable power.

or just bump you budget up a bit to $75 ish and get the sb-24

if you cant afford it at the moment the i would listen to Goontz^

Just stick with 1 for now and get something better when your ready

Sup guys well i already have a nikon sb600 and some tripods. Im going to order some wireless trigger out of ebay but now the question is , im looking for a cheap flash just to get a lil more light since my main will be the sb600. take in mind that im only doing this as a hobby. I saw a vivitar flash for like $40 on ebay now is this any good?
www.strobist.com
Tripods will be limiting because they cannot be raised high enough.

Light stands work a lot better.

Here is an 8 foot light stand: Impact | Air Cushioned Light Stand, Black - 8' (2.4m) | LS-8A

9.5 foot: Impact | Air-Cushioned Heavy Duty Light Stand - | LS-96HAB | B&H

13 foot: Impact | Heavy Duty Light Stand, Black - 13' (4m) | LS-13HB

I dont mind raising the budget a lil bit , any other options for around that price?

Why not just stick with the single off-camera SB-600 that you already have, until you really understand and know what you're doing with "strobist" lighting, before moving to two off-camera flashes?

:thumbup: +1

Have to agree. First you have to crawl before you can walk. Once you talk about multiple light setups you are either talking one of two things. Flat lighting, not really attractive or ratios.

It is much easier to figure ratios if your strobes are consistent. For my strobist setup I have 2 580 EX and 3 Sunpak 383's All have the same guide number and all have variable output. Setting ratios is easy.

Question for the OP. If you get a couple of manual use strobes to go with the sb600, how are you going to meter your shots. You won't have the luxury of TTL, you will have to shoot manual. Have you got a flash meter? If not is one in your budget?

Yes you can chimp and take test exposure after test exposure and check the screen in the back. Subjects/models get bored easily while doing this.

This would be a good place to start doing some reading. Strobist. It can take you a long way in getting started shooting and with gear to use.

I dont mind raising the budget a lil bit , any other options for around that price?

check this out...i just got one a few months ago
Nikon Autofocus SB 25 (GN138) BOUNCE, SWIVEL, ZM, SHOE MOUNT FLASH - KEH.com

and i wouldnt worry about the "BGN" condition

i got one in "EX" which is just one step above BGN and it looks like it never came out of the box. brand new

$72 i dont think you can go wrong

Edit: and yes^^ do some (a lot) of reading on the strobist site....lots of good stuff on there to help you out

+1
I think you should just get an off camera cord and play with that for a while before you jump into multiple strobes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back