Strobe for outdoor sports?

bryanbuchanan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm a beginning action sports photographer and I'm looking for a strobe, stand, remote, receiver, or whatever I need to get started with a strobe light setup. I Would like something pretty heavy-duty, but price in more important... Battery-powered is a must, and it need to be portable. I really don't know where to start, so any advice at all would be awesome.

Thanks a ton!

bryanbuchanan said:
I'm a beginning action sports photographer and I'm looking for a strobe, stand, remote, receiver, or whatever I need to get started with a strobe light setup. I Would like something pretty heavy-duty, but price in more important... Battery-powered is a must, and it need to be portable.

Metz Mecablitz 76MZ5.

Thanks!

Would that work for maybe setting up 40ft from the subject while I was about 100ft away?

That brings up another question, What kind of range should I expect to get?

I'm thinking of something like just a reeally super bright flash on a tripod with a remote hooked to my camera, so I can set it up where I want it and shoot from diff angles.

For remotes...Pocket Wizard is the name I hear most often. They are expensive but they are said to be very reliable and have a great range.

Alternatively, you could use (if you shoot Canon) an 580 or 430 flash unit and trigger it with a ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter. Or you you could get two flash units and use a 580 as a master to trigger the slave.

Most reactions

Back