Strobist: Post your photos and setups

Ha, I scrolled right past it. Reading > Me.

Thanks, and sorry lol.

one from this past weekend..

single AB800 through 47" octabox high camera right (1/16th power)
D700 @ ISO 200
70mm, f/4, 1/60th sec
cybersync triggers

SAP_1040 by Spoe70, on Flickr

I just spent the last 2 hours reading this thread and still plenty more to go, wow, great thread!

Wow, I forgot about this thread. Okay, here's another one for ya:

SB-600 in a shoot through umbrella camera right (didn't have my softbox yet), yongnuo yn-465 camera left aimed at the wall with a red gel. Not sure I like the effect, but it is what it is.

Slideshow-1-5-1380651687-O-X2.jpg

I cheated on this one...I manually triggered the flash with the PW somewhere in between the open 30 sec shutter. During our camping trip over the summer. f2.8 30 sec exposure. Flash at 128th power inside the tent.

6216062337_63701565e6_b.jpg

I love the idea of this shot and with most of our DSLR's you can set you camera to rear sync, which triggers the flash at the end of the exposure. i have used it several times for long exposure shots

Wow, I forgot about this thread. Okay, here's another one for ya:

SB-600 in a shoot through umbrella camera right (didn't have my softbox yet), yongnuo yn-465 camera left aimed at the wall with a red gel. Not sure I like the effect, but it is what it is.

Slideshow-1-5-1380651687-O-X2.jpg

Destin I like the shot and the idea behind it, you just need to change your lighting ratios a bit your main light needs to be much brighter the face on the portrait is a bit flat.

D7000 shooting directly into sun with 70-200 VRII, 1 vivitar and silver 43" silver umbrella cam right,. 1/250th, f4, ISO 100

300786_2276641750141_1071635590_2490844_137753630_n.jpg

chito beach said:
Destin I like the shot and the idea behind it, you just need to change your lighting ratios a bit your main light needs to be much brighter the face on the portrait is a bit flat.

Yeah, this shot is around a year old. I've come a long way since then.

For some reason I didn't think about posting this shot here until recently. Simple setup: homemade 4' x 1' strip light just out of frame to the right and slightly behind the subject (my wife).

DSC_4729.jpg

(She has since had the baby! :) )

I cheated on this one...I manually triggered the flash with the PW somewhere in between the open 30 sec shutter. During our camping trip over the summer. f2.8 30 sec exposure. Flash at 128th power inside the tent.

6216062337_63701565e6_b.jpg

I love the idea of this shot and with most of our DSLR's you can set you camera to rear sync, which triggers the flash at the end of the exposure. i have used it several times for long exposure shots

I'm aware of the feature and used it before. I was testing based on flash power and didn't get the result I wanted which was at 1/128. It just so happens the composition of the test shot was more of a keeper.

NewB question---the silver reflector--which speedlight does this reflect? Both or just the one to camera right? I like this shot.

(If I may be so bold as to answer for him...)

Just the one to camera left. So the speedlight camera-left is shooting through the umbrella to light the background, and some of that light is being reflected backwards - the silver reflector takes that light and redirects some of it to the subject.

The speedlight camera-right is going to cast some light on the reflector as well, but since it's silver and not white, the angle would prevent it from actually reflecting any of that light back on to the subject.

My best work to date:

580EX II with shoot through.

Overcooked ribs :thumbdown: did you marinate the ribs 12 hours prior to the shoot? i dont think so

You assume wrong :thumbdown:. They were on the smoker for several hours and then sauced and finished on the grill to get a glaze like finish. Well, the ones on the left were. The right side ones were dry rubbed.

Yeah! Don't you recognize good bark when you see it? :sexywink:

NewB question---the silver reflector--which speedlight does this reflect? Both or just the one to camera right? I like this shot.

the angle would prevent it from actually reflecting any of that light back on to the subject.

Really? You are saying a white reflector will reflect light from the flash to camera right, but not a silver reflector? At what angle does the silver reflector stop reflecting light? I've never heard this before. Please explain further.

the angle would prevent it from actually reflecting any of that light back on to the subject.

Really? You are saying a white reflector will reflect light from the flash to camera right, but not a silver reflector? At what angle does the silver reflector stop reflecting light? I've never heard this before. Please explain further.

Silver reflectors reflect more directly and less diffusely; white reflectors reflect more diffusely and less directly. With direct reflection the angle is critical, whereas diffuse reflection makes the angle less important.

As a thought experiment, imagine you've got a dark room with a mirror in it, and a subject a foot or two away from it. If you pointed a narrow-beam flashlight at the mirror, there would only be one angle at which that flashlight would actually cast light on the subject. If you draped a white cloth over that mirror though, you could point the flashlight at nearly any point on that cloth and it would reflect some light on to the subject, though assuming the cloth is somewhat transparent, there would still be an angle at which there is more light on the subject (because there is still a little direct reflection). Replace the mirror with a matte white surface like a wall, though, and there would be very little discernible difference no matter where you pointed it (because the direct reflection is removed).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back