Strobist: Post your photos and setups

Only used flash in one of these shots, but it's part of a polyptych, and goes with a theme, so I included it. (Middle Bottom Photo)

Bare SB-800 held by my assistant, in front of the camera pointed back at the subjects to light their reflection in the tank.

HarleyPolyptych-X2.jpg

great shots here. made it about half way through the thread (nightshift and its about time to go home), but must say I'm completely overwhelmed deciding what equipment to get. I think for now im going to go with the flashpoint 320m kit with 2 lights/brellas/stands/snoot/case to get me started. its very well beyond my scope of knowledge, but gotta get started somewhere. i wanna be well prepared as our newborn will arrive ~august 15th! ill post some practice shots when my stuff arrives. ordering this friday.

great shots here. made it about half way through the thread (nightshift and its about time to go home), but must say I'm completely overwhelmed deciding what equipment to get. I think for now im going to go with the flashpoint 320m kit with 2 lights/brellas/stands/snoot/case to get me started. its very well beyond my scope of knowledge, but gotta get started somewhere. i wanna be well prepared as our newborn will arrive ~august 15th! ill post some practice shots when my stuff arrives. ordering this friday.

Congrats on opening up your horizons! Have fun and good luck :)

Overcooked ribs :thumbdown: did you marinate the ribs 12 hours prior to the shoot? i dont think so

You assume wrong :thumbdown:. They were on the smoker for several hours and then sauced and finished on the grill to get a glaze like finish. Well, the ones on the left were. The right side ones were dry rubbed.

Yeah! Don't you recognize good bark when you see it? :sexywink:

Burnt ends are the best part.

mhmmmm.....pig.

lets revive this thread,

3 light setup 1 sunpak 611 in homemade beauty dish for key, 1 sunpak 544 in 24x36 softbox right rear rim, 1 sunpak 611 in home made Styrofoam 12 x 40 softbox left rear rim, reflector under face

$povi (1 of 1)-20_pp1.jpg

My 1 year old gsd taking a break at the end of a photo shoot session. One flash positioned on camera right and window light coming in from the left.

$6774.jpg

Last edited:
A few from a shoot today. All done with one SB-800 with 1/4 CTO gel, into 24" softbox, fired with PovertyWizards

BiancaFull-0001-X2.jpg

BeautifulGinger-0001.jpg

Went crazy on this one with the flare & retro processing. I like it, but some may not. YMMV

BeautifulGinger-0004.jpg

Last edited:
ghache said:
what do you use to get these colours? flash with gels? or continuous lights with gel?

I used gels over 2 B800's with the standard 7" reflectors and there gel holders. Works great. I also bounced them off the desired areas I wanted to light in those specific colors. So pink of the ground an blue of the back ceiling and walls.

First time EVER using flashes. Two SB-700s triggered using infrared through the pop up flash on the camera on TTL mode.

1. One SB-700 firing directly at the passenger side of car. Friend holding second right off frame about 7-8 feet in the air firing down towards the car. I also bumped up the exposure a full point in Camera Raw.

Casey's 510 by M.Larsonphotography, on Flickr

2. One SB right somewhere off camera to the right (can't remember). Second one on my tripod about 4 feet in air firing towards front of car.

3. One SB firing at rear of car. Second off camera left, and slightly left of subject.

4. Both SBs at 45* angle in towards camera. One left, one right.

BONUS Shot: 3 minute exposure.

PNWSGM said:

Just curious, did you make any attempts to light the car and do a three-minute exposure? That last shot would have been sweet with some subtle lighting on the car as well.

Great job though, on all the shots, especially for a first-time Strobist!

PNWSGM said:

Just curious, did you make any attempts to light the car and do a three-minute exposure? That last shot would have been sweet with some subtle lighting on the car as well.

Great job though, on all the shots, especially for a first-time Strobist!

Nope. I was considering having my buddy fire the flashes manually every few seconds, however he was literally laying in the middle of the road (Closed on one end) because he was so tired. I don't like how the stars are all showing motion. However I wish I could have captured them with a faster shutter speed but the image was just too dark. Also, this was taken in the middle of nowhere, it was so dark out that you couldn't even see the car through the viewfinder.

Thank you!

Teaser from another automotive photoshoot I did. The night after my previous posting.

Two speedlights one off each side of camera. Aimed at logo. Unfortunately I forget the power setting.

Just a teaser! by M.Larsonphotography, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back