Strobist Setup Advice

newb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off, selecting a flash is way more confusing then I would have ever thought. With that being said, I think I did ok when I narrowed my seach down the options Ill get to in a bit. Im aiming to get a budget minded setup, but Im not lookin to have the cheapest on the market. I will be using Cactus V4's for my trigger/recievers. When it comes to the flashes, Id like somethin a little cheaper than the SB600. I have come up with these options,

Vivitar DF383
VIVDF383NIK Vivitar DF383 Digital TTL Shoe Mount Power Zoom /Swivel /Bounce Auto-Focus Flash for Nikon TTL, Guide Number 45m (147')
How does this rate vs. the 285HV? How about vs the SB600? This one has a control panel on the back, but I cant find anything about variable power. Whats the deal? Also, Im not completely sure this will work with the Cactus' setup. Anyone know for sure?

Lumopro
LumoPro LP120 Manual Flash
The only disadvantage I can see with this is that is fully manual. And, if I switch to an SU800 for my trigger, Ill still be adjusting it manualy whereas the DF383 can be found with i-TTL compatibility.

Any guidance is appriciated, and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Well if you want to do i-TTL and all that I would say just try and save for an sb600 or the sb400 depending on your needs. If you strictly want to do strobist stuff I say the 285hv is one of your best bets. It's only 90 and is all manual the zoom and everything so that is just less chance of something breaking or going wrong.

Here is a link from the strobist website about the vivi 285.

Do you already have lighting stuff like stands/umbrella/softbox or any of that stuff? GL
TJ

First off, selecting a flash is way more confusing then I would have ever thought. With that being said, I think I did ok when I narrowed my seach down the options Ill get to in a bit. Im aiming to get a budget minded setup, but Im not lookin to have the cheapest on the market. I will be using Cactus V4's for my trigger/recievers. When it comes to the flashes, Id like somethin a little cheaper than the SB600. I have come up with these options,

Vivitar DF383
VIVDF383NIK Vivitar DF383 Digital TTL Shoe Mount Power Zoom /Swivel /Bounce Auto-Focus Flash for Nikon TTL, Guide Number 45m (147')
How does this rate vs. the 285HV? How about vs the SB600? This one has a control panel on the back, but I cant find anything about variable power. Whats the deal? Also, Im not completely sure this will work with the Cactus' setup. Anyone know for sure?
Yes, variable power and zoom. You can look at the users manuals for the DF383/285HV at Vivitar.com http://vivitar.com/products/177/DF-383 User's Manual.pdf

The DF383 in manual mode will work with the Cactus trigger setup.
Lumopro
LumoPro LP120 Manual Flash
The only disadvantage I can see with this is that is fully manual. And, if I switch to an SU800 for my trigger, Ill still be adjusting it manualy whereas the DF383 can be found with i-TTL compatibility.

Any guidance is appriciated, and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Most that use a strobist approach use full manual mode most of the time.

Im just getting into this as well. Got my flashes just trying to figure out what kind of light stands/umbrellas to get. If you have not done so already check out the flickr strobist group as well great info there. Have you looked at the RF602 trigger/receivers? They come highly recommended on the strobist flickr group. Just takes forever to get them!! It took them like a week to ship mine and after 5 days they are still in china :lol:

Well if you want to do i-TTL and all that I would say just try and save for an sb600 or the sb400 depending on your needs. If you strictly want to do strobist stuff I say the 285hv is one of your best bets. It's only 90 and is all manual the zoom and everything so that is just less chance of something breaking or going wrong.

Here is a link from the strobist website about the vivi 285.

Do you already have lighting stuff like stands/umbrella/softbox or any of that stuff? GL
TJ

Ive heard the 285HV works good, but I was wondering if the DF383 was better? The 383 is still in my price range, even tho its about as high as I want to go.

Ive got nothing as of now. My plan is to start out with a pair of flashes, softboxes and stands. Then as I get more fermiliar with everything I can step my game up.

Yes, variable power and zoom. You can look at the users manuals for the DF383/285HV at Vivitar.com http://vivitar.com/products/177/DF-383%20User's%20Manual.pdf

Thanks for the answer on the 383. Most ppl still use manual mode even if they have i-TTL capability?

Im just getting into this as well. Got my flashes just trying to figure out what kind of light stands/umbrellas to get. If you have not done so already check out the flickr strobist group as well great info there. Have you looked at the RF602 trigger/receivers? They come highly recommended on the strobist flickr group. Just takes forever to get them!! It took them like a week to ship mine and after 5 days they are still in china :lol:

I am gunna look at the RF602's now. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: I was also considering the CTR-301P trigger/recievers (from the same ppl that make the RF602), any thoughts on those? I aske because I like the styling of em better than any other trigger/reciever sets.

Last edited:
Umm id go over to the strobist flickr group and ask them, chances are someone over there has used them.

Umm id go over to the strobist flickr group and ask them, chances are someone over there has used them.

I think Ill give that a shot.

Do you have any complaints with RF602 set?

Ive heard the 285HV works good, but I was wondering if the DF383 was better? The 383 is still in my price range, even tho its about as high as I want to go.

Ive got nothing as of now. My plan is to start out with a pair of flashes, softboxes and stands. Then as I get more fermiliar with everything I can step my game up.

Yes, variable power and zoom. You can look at the users manuals for the DF383/285HV at Vivitar.com http://vivitar.com/products/177/DF-383 User's Manual.pdf

Thanks for the answer on the 383. Most ppl still use manual mode even if they have i-TTL capability?
Yep, camera's just aren't as adaptable/creative as people.

I think Ill give that a shot.

Do you have any complaints with RF602 set?

Yeah I still did not get them yet :lol: I ordered from DealExtreme: $29.99 RF-602 Wireless Flash Trigger for Nikon D90/D5000 DSLR Cameras which ships from China about two weeks ago and did not get them yet. If you order them from there expect to wait about 2 and a half to three weeks to get them. Not really a complaint though as I was warned it would take this long over on flickr.

Good deal. Ill prally end up with those then. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back