Strollin' on a sunday afternoon

I like the saturation of the lion, but you should have done it only on the lion, not the background. The leaves and the shadow look too blue and green. Nice shot!

I will have a look at the original again. I still like it the way it is, but I will see how it looks after your suggestion

The saturation of the background makes it look like you have a lot of CA. I hope you understand what my point was.

I'd be interested in seeing a more unaltered version as well - just to get an idea of what the background was really like at the time. Still from what I can see it looks to have been a devil of an exposure with the cat in the shade and the bright sun surrounding - only flash (reflector would work too but I doubt the cat would let you get close enough to use it ;)) would have helped for a bit of fill light

Still like Schwettylens, the cat part of the shot looks good (just one bit of overexposure on the left which is a shame)

The saturation of the background makes it look like you have a lot of CA. I hope you understand what my point was.

Hahahahaha.....this was shot with our 75-300 USM2.....the king of CA. So what you see is not saturation looking like CA but just a pile of real life CA !! (hence why I would like to upgrade to a better lens !)

I'd be interested in seeing a more unaltered version as well - just to get an idea of what the background was really like at the time. Still from what I can see it looks to have been a devil of an exposure with the cat in the shade and the bright sun surrounding - only flash (reflector would work too but I doubt the cat would let you get close enough to use it ;)) would have helped for a bit of fill light

Still like Schwettylens, the cat part of the shot looks good (just one bit of overexposure on the left which is a shame)

Well, it was shot through a dirty window, so flash wouldn't have worked I am afraid. And using a reflector would have been a real challenge :lmao:.
Here is the original SOC shot.

IMG_7533.jpg by Francis de Beus, on Flickr

That actually surprises me since the original I thought you'd boosted the light in the shadows since the light is coming from behind the cat (following the shadows) but interestingly the light on the cat in the original is pretty even (must have been some sort of light or reflection lighting the cat unless you've boosted shadow light in RAW processing).

Also going back to the original I'd say cut a bit back from the saturation on the cat itself and also use a saturation layer and where it says master - click and select cyans and then desaturate the cyans fully. If you look at the forepaws in the shadows they are starting to go blue (its a shadow effect in strong light). Desaturating the cyans removes this blue hue from the shot without generally adversely affecting the overall colour (though if you find a spot where it does you can always use layermasks/selection wizards to limit the effect).

You can also use flash even on glass - the trick is to stick your lens right up to the glass itself so that the reflection of the flash does not appear in the shot itself. Sometimes you can get away just with diffusing the light (I've used a flash and a lumiquest softbox and not been able to see any flash reflection) whilst other times you'll want the lens right up to the glass (a black paper cover helps as well - just a square with a hole in the middle for the lens this also helps to cut out regular reflections in the glass as well.

IMG_7533-2.jpg by Francis de Beus, on Flickr

How about this ? Cut back on the saturation, and lowered the cyan ranges to get rid of the blueish casts.

The flash could indeed work....if I had one. Still on my wanna have list.
I didn't boost shadows in PP. I actually lowered the shadow light in Lightroom to bring a bit more contrast in the flat lighting.

Looks a lot better on my iPhone.

I'm trying to work it out and I think I'm right in saying that maybe the background areas (ie everywhere not cat) might actually need a little cyan to it - simply because those areas (great example around the cats paws) look like they are now totally grey and desaturated.

MAKE UP YOUR MIND !!!! :whip:

LOL....The final result will probably end up between the first and the last edit.
My oldest daughter has an African themed room, so I am printing this one off to hang on her wall

a procrastinating vicious lion, you can tell by the look on her droopy eyes. she'll kill, but maybe some other time

Most reactions

New Topics

Back