Struck gold again – Nikon F2A Photomic

The original "micro-Nikkor" was a 5cm f3.5 in Nikon S-Mount, for the RF. It could be used as a regular lens, and fitted on a bellows for copy work. Worth in the $2K range these days. The focal length was increased to 5.5cm, and the lens came out as the pre-set 5.5cm F3.5 in a mount that went to 1:1 reproduction in 1961. 1966- the Micro-Nikkor-P and Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 were introduced, automatic aperture, 1:2 repro- but much easier to handle. The "Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5" had a compensating aperture that opened up as you focused closer to maintain a constant F-Stop. This was required to use with a non-TTL meter. The Micro-Nikkor-P had an aperture that did not compensate as you focused close, for use with TTL cameras. The latter continued on through to the Ai series that you have. The F3.5 lens is optimized for 1:10 use. The F2.8 lens added floating optics for use over the full-range, but never seemed quite as sharp as the F3.5.

I've handed a Nikon SP to a 4-year old to use. Of course her name is "Nikki". We would be out and my wife would ask her "Do you want to take a picture with Mommy's camera?", "No- I want to take a picture with Daddy's camera".

Collectible Digital cameras: very early ones, and prototypes. I have a Nikon E3 full-frame digital from 1997. Paid $200 for it about 7 years ago, was originally priced at $7,000. I could get $500~$600 for it these days, it all still works. 1.3MPixels. Probably about 100 made, mine is SN 67.

Last edited:
The F2.8 lens added floating optics for use over the full-range, but never seemed quite as sharp as the F3.5.
Interesting... I thought the f/2.8 was the one renowned for its sharpness.

I've handed a Nikon SP to a 4-year old to use. Of course her name is "Nikki". We would be out and my wife would ask her "Do you want to take a picture with Mommy's camera?", "No- I want to take a picture with Daddy's camera".
Smart child. And awesomely named :lol:

Collectible Digital cameras: very early ones, and prototypes. I have a Nikon E3 full-frame digital from 1997. Paid $200 for it about 7 years ago, was originally priced at $7,000. I could get $500~$600 for it these days, it all still works. 1.3MPixels. Probably about 100 made, mine is SN 67.
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't sell that camera, even if you don't plan on shooting with it ever again. I think that to be able to preserve a piece of history is a very cool thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back