Stuck lens or dead batteries?

RBMKAlpha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, my dad has an Olympus SLR film camera. I don't know the exact make, but this was one of the first cameras with an onboard microprocessor to measure the light levels (you set the F-stop on the camera, and it would calculate the exposure time.) Anyways, when there was no film in it I could click the shutter and the mirror would flip like it should. The only problem now is that the mirror is "stuck" in position. It will not move when you hit the shutter button, and I tried to GENTLY push it into it's origional position, but that didn't work.

One other thing - the batteries are currently dead. I need to get replacements. Is the mirror issue probably caused by the dead batteries, or is something more serious wrong?

Start with replacing the batteries. Listen to markc BTW. ;)

Let us know if that doesn't solve the issue.

It would be an OM2 then.
It can do this 'lock out'. I've had it happen.
Replace the batteries (essential).
Look at the camera from the front.
Bottom right corner of the lens mount housing is a little square button sticking out.
It's marked 'B' on the side.
On the bottom of the shutter speed ring is a red '*' marked 'Reset'.
Press the little button in and at the same time rotate the shutter speed ring until the '*' is opposite the button.
You will hear the shutter close and the mirror drop back.
All should now be well.
Although if you trip the shutter with dead/no batteries then the mirror will lock up again - and the shutter stays open usually. You have to reset again.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try and get the camera back in operation soon!

I'll follow the directions that Hertz Van Rental gave to...

Hertz Van Rental?

RBMKAlpha said:
Thanks for the info guys. I'll try and get the camera back in operation soon!

I'll follow the directions that Hertz Van Rental gave to...

Hertz Van Rental?
Not to be confused with the other one ;)

Well, anyways, I replaced the batteries. It was two LR-44. Or LS-44. Something with an "L" and a "44". I bought two at the local drugstore for about $9, and then found them at Wal-Mart for about $5. Oy vey es mir.

Anyways, I popped the batteries in, and I heard it click back into place, and it worked fine! I got a roll shot tonight (100 ASA) and I hope I didn't under/overexpose on the bulb setting, but we'll see what happened soon enough! Hopefully I got some great shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back