Student Camera

rkb03

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm a 15 year old looking for an SLR for my photography classes. It must have manual aperture/shutter speed controls. My budget's under $500. I have experience with the digital Samsung 350S, the Nikon Zoom Cameras (I love mine), and have used the Pentax K1000 (or another look-alike old Pentax) during a summer photography course. I'm pretty good with cameras in general and tend to figure them out quickly, however, it's my parents that are the problems. (this will be MY camera, but I'd like to take it on trips/family reunions where others might be using it aside from myself) I've heard great things about the old Nikon FM, Minolta X-700, and the Pentax K1000. I am willing to shop on eBay for the older models. If, however, I'm going to spend more than $200, I think I'd want one that's user friendly, which the "totally manual" models are not. Are there any AF Nikon's suitable for a student and his family that have manual features? Which ones would you recommend? Please feel free to contact me via AIM or e-mail. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, and in terms of the manual cameras, would you go for an older model?

rkbo3..... Rather than maybe get skinned on eBay, since your budget is up to 5 bills, check out www.keh.com There are still some manual cameras that you can purchase new such as the Nikon FM10 and the Minolta x370s which can both be used all manual. KEH is a good reliable source for used gear and will have a variety of brands and models within your range with many lenses to choose from also. Make a smart buy and the gear can last you for years and years.

Well lets see here, I have a newer minolta that is good and fine, but I also have a pentax spotmatic. If you like the k1000 you sould like that camera great as well. They are a great, tank of a camera. For about 100 buck you get one of those (comes with a 55mm f1.8 lense) and if you shop around (ebay is your friend) you could fine 2 or 3 more lenses for it, and still be under your $500 buget. If you do get an older camera, remember... it is old, just like grand parents, they can be odd at time, and you may have to explan things, but in the end, you still love them, and they give you all the best gifts :)

Good luck.

Sounds good, but I think I'm looking into the N55 + N75. If the aperture/shutter speed can be controlled in both of these cameras, what are the differences between these two? I still have time to change, so an all manual camera isn't out of the question.

rkb03 said:
Are there any AF Nikon's suitable for a student and his family that have manual features?

If you are willing to buy used (no reason not to - ALL my gear was purchased used), look for a clean N8008/F801, N8008s/F801s, N90 or N90s. These models were top-of-the-line amateur SLR's in their day. These older AF Nikon's are very well built, are reasonably priced on the used market (the N8008 can be found for under $250 in EX condition at KEH), and will work very well with Nikon manual focus AI/AIS lenses or newer AF/AF-D lenses. Or, if you want a real bargain, consider the N2020 (Nikon's 1st consumer AF SLR - slow AF, but less than $150.00 in EX condition at KEH). With all of these cameras, you have the option of going completely manual, completely automated, or somewhere in between. (Note: If you are going to buy NEW AF lenses, now or in the future, these models do not function completely with Nikkor "G" series AF lenses.)

Ebay is a good place to find a deal IF :
- you know exactly what you are looking for and how much to pay for it,
- you are savvy enough to recognize the reputable sellers and avoid the scam artists, and
- you know how to spot an ad description that is less than "truthful".

Otherwise, KEH.com (http://www.keh.com/shop/class.cfm?bid=NA&sid=newused&crid=5798767) is an excellent, trusted source for used equipment. Their condition ratings are honest ("Like New" really is like new) and they warranty their stuff. Anything rated LN, LN-, EX+ or EX from KEH will not disappoint you.

Good luck with your search.

Mike

well in my photo class my teacher wanted fully manual as well and so i have a Canon AE-1 and i also have a Minolta Maxxum 5 which goes fully manual but he still didnt want me to use it for i think he wants us not to push buttons and look at a screen but to actually turn the knobs and do it all ourself, and that maybe the same with your teacher, i have to use the Canon AE-1 and it's awsome , i recomend going with an older fully manual camera as a whole because the are great and affordable as well as you wont have to buy 2, so thats my opinion GOOD LUCK

There are a few differences between the N75 and N55. Haven't read up on the N55, but the N75 does have a spot meter. I would go with the N90 if you had the money. A few things on that camera that I couldn't live without. Like being able to select your film speed

Most reactions

Back