student film cameras

Matt.H

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was looking around at various film cameras to buy and I decided on the Asahi Pentak K1000. I have 2 questions though. Is the Minolta X-700 similar to the Pentax?(the reason I ask is that there was one at a pawn shop that was inexpensive) Are there any other manual operation cameras that you folks recommend looking at? Thanks in advance for answers

EDIT: I just found out that my dad bought me a Minolta X-700. Which is good, cause im trying to break into the film world. My questions still stand though! thanks

Well the X700 has the options of programmed automatic exposure. The K1000 is purely manual. You will probably be expected to shoot fully manual anyway so this doesn't really matter. One thing to consider is that lenses for the Pentax mount are still being produced, and any lenses that work on the K1000 will also be compatible with current digital SLR cameras, but those for the Minolta will not, which might matter if you're planning on "going digital". Other cameras to consider? Yes, pretty much any Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Minolta, Fujica, Praktica Yashica, Contax... etc etc. The choice is huge.

Go for the Pentax Super Program. Seriously, take my word for it. I've shot every student camera there is, and it's the best.

If your dad has already bought the Minolta, go with that one. Use it for a while and see if it's what you want to keep using.

I fully intend to. I made that post and then he called and said I bought this for you. I was like "Oh, alrighty then" cause I just made the post when he said that. Im planning on taking courses in the fall in college and was looking for a manual camera, which was why I was asking those questions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back