Studio In Home?

Pixie42

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a plan to do some maternity, possibly some couples (fully clothed!) and boudoir photos in the future, after I have honed my skills a little more.

Is it tacky or unacceptable to have a small studio in your home? We are building in the spring and are building a house with a 20 X 16 extra space upstairs. I was thinking this would be perfect for a little studio.

Obviously if I became somewhat successful I would get a real studio, but are home studios okay for starting out???

I was planning on offering an 'in your home' service or in my home service. An advantage of having it at home is that the property we bought is gorgeous, with lots of creeks and just wonderful scenic places to take great photos.

Thoughts?

In your home is fine, but I would suggest having it on the ground floor instead of upstairs. Be sure to have a high ceiling to accommodate lights, and have at least $1,000,000 of liability insurance added to your home owners insurance so if you get sued because someone hurt themselves on your property it won't destroy you.

Have Fun,
Jeff

No it's not weird...but he's right...make it on the ground floor if you can...would feel more legit.

Also, the insurance is a good idea.

Just make it close to the entrance of your house and people shouldn't feel weird about it. Basement would also be an option if the ceilings are high enough.

I don't know if this would be an issue, but you may need to check zoning rules. I say this because in my apartment lease (granted it's an apartment and a lease) it specifically states that I can't run any sort of business from my apartment.

I'm almost thinking of making the garage into a studio. I agree with the ground floor idea, my only reason for upstairs is because it's totally enclosed and very private.

A home studio can be tricky... It can stereotype you as an amateur (even tho you may not be), at which point your clients will be less inclined to pay your normal fees.
It also depends on the rest of your peers in your area. I am originally from Miami, so studios in home were more acceptable than in my new home city Vero Beach. So, I am now looking into leasing a studio space...
Just a thought!!! Good luck!!!

I'm not exactly sure why that would be considered "tacky".

Most reactions

Back