Studio Lighting Essentials

blakejacobsen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am completely new to the studio lighting spectrum. I have entirely no idea what I need in order to create a basic studio lighting setup. I've been trying to educate myself, but I am still lost on exactly how things are setup. I've learned what monolights are, as well as strobes and hotlights. My questions mostly reside in how things correspond with my camera. I've been eyeing this kit: Amazon.com: CowboyStudio Photo Studio Monolight Flash Lighting Kit with Carrying Case - 3 Studio Flash/Strobe, 2 Softboxes: Camera & Photo: Reviews, Prices & more. Does it contain everything required for taking studio lit photographs (besides the camera, which I obviously have)? If so, is it a pretty decent kit? The price seems so good, but I want to make sure it contains all the essential equipment. Specifically, the equipment used to connect the lighting to work in sync with my camera. I really appreciate any advice and information you can provide me with! Thanks! :thumbup:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I can't follow the link right now, but the Cowboy Studio gear is generally regarded as decent, consumer-grade equipment. Things to look for are separate (and infinitely variable) controls for the strobe and modelling light, audible 'Ready' indicators, built in optical slaves, and easily replacable flash tubes.

As far as syncing with your camera that will be either via PC cable (if your camera has a PC port), optical trigger (if you want to use your in-camera flash as well), or radio-trigger (best option - you can buy cheap Cactus or other brand triggers which will work reasonably well for home work).

im a newbie but my cousin has let me use his lighting kit lately(which im still lost w but im learning) and that looks like a great price for what your getting! I say buy it!

Thanks for the replies! So this does in fact include all the gear needed to shoot with optimal studio lighting on the spot? No further purchases needed, unless I wish to enhance quality?

I have not stopped spending money yet on what I thought was what I needed and then found out was not enough of what I wanted to try. Two lights are more then fine, with a reflector...

The more books I read the more I am sure I want to try and experiment with more equipment and new things. It has to stop. :waiting:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back