Studio Lighting - Pricing Help

Away2me

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have not done studio work. My photography is a very specific niche market that has never required studio lighting. However, I'm being semi-forced to expand. The project I've just landed is temporary, so I'm not going to invest in lots of equipment or new stuff if I can avoid it.

I've found a pretty complete used system for sale. I'm curious how much you think the following is worth and if it is so outdated I shouldn't touch it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This is very much out of my comfort zone, but business is so bad lately, I can't afford to lose a single client.

Speedotron D402 4 channel 3 – M11 heads
20’ Extension cable 3 – 7” Reflectors
1 – 7” honeycomb spot grid 3 – 11.5 Reflectors
1 – Extension sync cord Gold plated sync cord

2 – Manfrotto 13’ black light stands 2 – 13’ Avenger black light stands
1 – Ascor Pro Stand 1 – Lowel light stand
2 – Crown light stands 1 – Manfrotto 3 section boom
4 – Manfrotto Super Clamps 2 – Manfrotto Boom clamps

Eclipse Black/white 52” umbrella 2 - Eclipse Black/white 40” umbrella
Wescott translucent 42” umbrella Crown translucent 32” umbrella

4 – Finelight 6.8 x 3.2 Scrim frames
2 – Home made 6.8 x 3.2 Scrim frames
3 – Black Scrims 2 – White Reflective Scrims
4 – Translucent Scrims 1 – Silver Reflective Scrim
1 – PhotoFlex light disc 1 – Pro Carrying Bag
14 – Double C clips

On the used market, maybe $350-$400 ought to take that away. I am intimately familiar with the D402 pack and the M11 heads, as well as the 7 inch and 11.5 inch reflectors. The light stands, boom arms, and the scrims and umbrellas all together make this a pretty good setup for portraiture/small product/location lighting. The D402 power supply is just right for use with three or four light heads,and is very dependable, as well as very low-cost to have entirely re-built with all-new capacitors from Speedotron in Chicago for under $100. It sounds like the light stands might be pretty decent ones; if the Manfrotto boom is say, their Manfrotto Heavy Duty Boom AND Stand, that would push the value up to maybe almost $500, used.

I have three M11 light heads I bought in 1986, with the original flashtubes still working...these are not cheapie, Chinese-made, "assembled in USA" lights sold over the world wide web...

Darn, they wanted quite a bit more, $750. I can make an offer and see what happens. Its just that I'm on a bit of a deadline and I need to do some practice sessions prior to my client work.

I'm starting to regret accepting this shoot. But I suppose I need to get out of my comfort zone sooner or later.

Thanks for the info.

eBay prices for 402, 3-light kits are pretty affordable. $750 is just too much money on the used Brown Line market...just unrealistic...

i dont know what level of lighting youll need, but if you really dont wanna spend much, and dont need very high output why not look into cowboy studio stuff, a.bees, or even speedlites with 'brellas and boxes?

jus' throwin it out there.

If it's for a short time, how about rentals? Do you have a local shop that would let you rent such gears?

Thanks I'll look into that. I just need a simple set up to do some portraits, mostly head shots. Ideally it would be easy to transport.

I specialize in equine photography (advertising conformation photos). So studio lighting is outside my comfort zone. One of my clients, wants head shots of all of his employes for a brochure. They have been such a good client for me over the years that I hate to turn them down and risk losing them. I can't afford to lose any clients right now, my industry is in the dumps!

check out the strobist blog.

you should be able to do fantastic headshots with a couple speedlites.

Darn, they wanted quite a bit more, $750.

I don't think that's out of line. I was guessing $600–$800 depending on the condition of all.

I shoot with the same stuff here in my studio, except I'm using a 1200ws power supply (usually set on low for portraits). I bought mine used around 1985.

Derrel is right about the low cost of repairs. I'm not far from Chicago, and I just left my 2400ws unit there with a sync problem. The cost was $102.

Stands are not cheap... at least not decent ones. I figure that part alone is worth $300 used. The M11s list for $290 each when new.

Is there a case for the Speedotron stuff? It would really rough without one.

-Pete

Thanks I'll look into that. I just need a simple set up to do some portraits, mostly head shots. Ideally it would be easy to transport.

I specialize in equine photography (advertising conformation photos). So studio lighting is outside my comfort zone. One of my clients, wants head shots of all of his employes for a brochure. They have been such a good client for me over the years that I hate to turn them down and risk losing them. I can't afford to lose any clients right now, my industry is in the dumps!

Where are you located if you don't mind me asking? If you're local perhaps I can help (DC area). I've got studio strobes. But if you're far, like SirBiquit said, pick up couple speedlites. You can get Vivitars for cheap. Get couple stands from Amazon for like $20 and you're good to go. All shouldn't cost you more than $200 IMO

I specialize in equine photography (advertising conformation photos). So studio lighting is outside my comfort zone. One of my clients, wants head shots of all of his employes for a brochure.

Did you consider doing these with available light? If I was in your position, my first thought is open a stable door, hang a background (if they want that sort of look), set up a reflector and shoot. It could be very nice.

-Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back