"Studio" lighting suggestions?

Involute

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've converted an unused bathroom in my house to a product photo studio using a light tent, a couple of Totas, and some wood for a table (see TotaS.jpg attachment). I'd like to be able to shoot bigger things than what will fit in the tent, so I'm thinking of building something like what you see in the other attachment. The frame over the tub will have a horizontal panel to support the object being photographed, and a couple of rolls of background paper will be held at the back of the frame, near the ceiling, to be pulled down as needed. While it will be easy to mount an overhead light pointing down on the object, I'd obviously need a couple of lights in front, in the vicinity of the sink and the medicine cabinet on the wall opposite the sink. I'm concerned the Totas will be too harsh, even with gels, but even the smallest softboxes I've found are too big to squeeze in here. Plus, I'm concerned the space is too narrow (60" W) to allow lights to be placed far enough off-center to properly illuminate the object being shot. Any suggestions? Am I wasting my time? Thanks.

Attachments

• $Guest bath overhead.jpg
    $Guest bath overhead.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 125
  • $TentS.jpg
    $TentS.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
The whole thing looks insane to me,but I'm completely amazed that you have an unused bathroom in your house.
Are there no women there?

Just breaking your balls.
But,I think in a spot that tight you're going to be forced to use bounced light without too much control.
I'm sure it could be done but it will be a lot of work.

I would rather shoot on top of a folding utility table in a bedroom or living room or dining room than in a cramped bathroom. The ability to move the lights **as desired** would be more valuable, and more easily realized on a table that allows some room around the edges.

Yeah I don't see the advantage of the bathroom. Darkroom? Yes. Studio? Naw. Though I might store the softboxes in there all set up already and stuff, then use them in a larger room. Convenience and speed of setup/take down, but space to move lights too

Most reactions

Back