Studio Lighting

barbeegal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all :)

I am new to the forum and thought this seemed like a great place for feedback and from reading past couple days here thinking it is noob friendly :).

I was wondering for those that do have a small studio or use studio lighting what is a good quality set up.

I currently own a kit I bought off ebay a few years ago. I have 2 soft boxes 2 Studio Strobe Lights (320w) and a synch flash (45w). They have worked wonderfully in the past but lately I am experiencing problems of them not fireing when I use them. Or they flash out of synch of my camera. The only way they work is if I take the photo then turn my camera off and back on really quick (figured this out by accident). I know weird but thats what it is doing.

But I was wanting to upgrade and I am in the process of opening my own small studio out of my basement and into a place with actual room. I was wanting to purchase a hair light and 2 strobes but there are soo many on the market I have found myself overwhelmed with choices. Does anyone have a suggestion of a brand they like and seem to work really well as well not too hard on the pocket? I was looking at Alienbees kits they have but wanting to shop around before I jump into anything right away. Since I have the soft boxes and stands I was thinking of just purchasing the strobe lights without the extras.

Any suggestions would be most helpfull :)

How much money do we have to spend?

New lights will likely require a different speedring to use the ebay softboxes you have now.

Last edited:
As with any question relating to equipment purchasing, a budget is very helpful. "Not too hard on the pocket" means different things to different people. Since you're looking at ABs, I'll assume that your budget is decent but not huge. I've not used and of the PCB line myself, but they seem well regarded for light to moderate use.

If you're actually using them commercially, then I would be more inclined to look to something like Elinchrom as a starting point. Be careful when purchasing; while light-stands are universal, speed rings are not, and your existing softbox may, or may not work.

As an aside, your problem sounds to me more like your trigge(s) are causing the problem. What type of trigger are you using for your current lights?

Edited to add: STOP TYPING SO FAST KEITH!!! :grumpy:

I use Alien Bee lights. They have worked well for me, and the company has outstanding customer service. They certainly aren't the best lights out there, far from it...but they aren't as expensive as the 'pro' lights either.

I don't have a problem recommending them, if you simply can't stretch your budget, but if you plan on putting food on the table with your lights, then you may want to look at something that is more of an 'investment', and not just 'what you can afford right now'.

You might also check out the Flashpoint lights that are available from Adorama. I think they have a similar price point to Alien Bees.

I have up to $1000 I can spend. I did not know that the lightboxes were not universal, good to know.

As with any question relating to equipment purchasing, a budget is very helpful. "Not too hard on the pocket" means different things to different people. Since you're looking at ABs, I'll assume that your budget is decent but not huge. I've not used and of the PCB line myself, but they seem well regarded for light to moderate use.

If you're actually using them commercially, then I would be more inclined to look to something like Elinchrom as a starting point. Be careful when purchasing; while light-stands are universal, speed rings are not, and your existing softbox may, or may not work.

As an aside, your problem sounds to me more like your trigge(s) are causing the problem. What type of trigger are you using for your current lights?

Edited to add: STOP TYPING SO FAST KEITH!!! :grumpy:

the trigger came with my kit, it is a small remote sync transmitter. It uses 2 triple A batteries. So maybe I should actually look into a new transmitter then. I liked my lights and they worked really well for all types of lighting moods I have used the setup with.

I use Alien Bee lights. They have worked well for me, and the company has outstanding customer service. They certainly aren't the best lights out there, far from it...but they aren't as expensive as the 'pro' lights either.

I don't have a problem recommending them, if you simply can't stretch your budget, but if you plan on putting food on the table with your lights, then you may want to look at something that is more of an 'investment', and not just 'what you can afford right now'.

You might also check out the Flashpoint lights that are available from Adorama. I think they have a similar price point to Alien Bees.

Thanks Mike :). I know my lighting is my biggest investment I need to focus on. I have someone wanting to get me started and I was approached with the idea to start our own buisness. I have nothing to offer except my abilitities which I am not 100% confident in, but she seems to think I am ready. I can not afford to miss this oppurtunity and I just want to get the best equipment at the best price as possible. I will check out the Adorama to see what they have as well.

I used my SB flash and it seemed to work with fireing my lights OH YEAH :). I do not know why I did not think about this before. I of course still need a new transmitter, but hey it isn't my strobes. I actually have had problems before but only until recently did they just go kapoot. I was about to spend up to a $1000 on a setup, to which I can now spend and focus on some props.

Something so simple, thank YOU Keith for pointing that out. I of course feel silly, but hey in the end I am glad I came here.

Most reactions

Back