Studio Lights..portable and affordable

Good info from astro; before you buy anything however, spend some time at good old YouTube U and search things like "speedlight portraiture", "off-camera lighting" etc, and learn a bit more about the general theory. From a results point, it's not going to matter so much what you buy, as how you use it.

Do you recommend reflectors?

Lots of them LOL .. I have 2 types of reflectors. The first are my cheap brandless reflectors shipped straight from China. If I'm shooting outdoors then this is what I'm taking along because I simply don't care what happens to them. They could get ripped while being shoved up in a tree. They might get dropped in the mud .. float away down a river .. blow off a mountain .. I don't care because they're cheap. Outdoor portraits, fashion, senior pics and so on .. this is what I'm using.

The second set is my better quality build name brand reflectors. These never get used outdoors so they stay looking clean and professional. Say I'm going to shoot headshots of 50 executives for a company. These are the reflectors I'm taking. They're clean and not ripped n' falling apart. Since I pay a little more to get name brands, plus restrict them to indoor use only, they last forever.

When it comes to brands .. I don't have a favorite but I am a huge fan of White, Gold and Translucent. Not so much a fan of Silver. I'm sure some people like it and use it all the time but I've never been in a situation where I get excited and say "Ewwwww Yeah Grab me that Silver!!!!" .. it just doesn't happen LOL

My favorite, most used, reflectors are going to be ...
36" 5-in-1
40"x60" White & Gold
40"x60" White & Black

Indoors - I both booms & trigger stand clamps to hold them in place.
Outdoors - Take along several large Spring Clamps (found at any hardware store)

on another note
If you move around a lot and having a fixed set up doesn't work, such as "event" type work.
I use this bracket which allows me to flip the camera horizontal/vertical without moving the speedlight. The speedlight is moved away from the camera a bit ==> 310900

and I also use a reflector like this on the speedlight, on the flash bracket ==> Flash Pocket Bouncer for Nikon SB910 SB900 SB700 SB400 SB300 SB600 SB28 SB24 ++

I can also grab the speedlight and handhold it if I wish.

remember, as above stated a couple times. You don't want to eliminate all shadows as that makes the image lose the "3D" look and everything looks flat. Plus you'll probably wash out the details with too much light. Adding light as "FILL" is the key (from the strobist site mentioned above) ==> Strobist: Lighting 101: Balancing Flash and Ambient, Pt 1

I like speedlights too for the above mentioned reasons. But if you want to start using the larger modifiers you have to get a specific bracket (which is costly). Then if you need more light you use more speedlights on a multi-speedlight bracket (even more money). So there is a low cost threshold of speedlights versus lower end strobes. It all comes down to how much portability you want.

Also, other than just shoot-through umbrellas, there are also bounce umbrellas ==> Westcott 7' Parabolic Umbrella (White / Black) 4634 B&H Photo
and then "brollys" which have a diffuser over the bounce umbrella ==> Westcott Umbrella Diffuser for Parabolic Umbrella 4631D B&H

edit: I use much cheaper brollies than above ==> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DM83KO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But as mentioned, as soon as you want to use softboxes, it seems to be cheaper to just go to strobes. Be careful of the strobe to softbox "mount" as it may limit your choices.

edit: I also use a set of reflectors like this ==> Photography 32x48" 5in1 Light Mulit Collapsible Portable Photo Reflector80x120cm

Awesome feedback Thanks.

Yes, portability is key here. I go onsite to people's homes for newborn sessions, outdoors for family and maternity sessions, and will soon be shooting weddings.

I was thinking the speedlights would be sufficient once I check out some ideas you've mentioned. Like maybe holding the flash and flipping the camera using the bracket. Weddings is something I really want to be prepared for shooting. Any additional suggestions on that note? :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Weddings is something I really want to be prepared for shooting. Any additional suggestions on that note? :)
Yes. Don't jump in. Start by learning and second-shooting. Unlike family portraiture, there are no do-overs with a wedding (at least not with the same couple :lol: ) and if you're not up on your skills and/or equipment, you may quickly find yourself across the courtroom from Bridezilla and/or Mother of Bridezilla!

I've only 2nd shot weddings a few times. There's *way* too much for me to handle as a hobbyist. Read this ==> Why I Can’t Shoot Your Wedding for Free {Part I of II}

but a station for portraits, etc. which use strobes with large modifiers. You want strobes as if you get a large group you need the power (and knowing how to use them).

then 2nd during the ceremony. (no flash) Usually further back, getting different angles from main photog (and staying out of the background of the main photog). FYI, since no flash, FullFrame cameras shine in this regards due to the usually poor interior lighting in churches, etc and the FF lowlight general advantage.

Then more "event" shots with the setup I mentioned above with the grip/flash.
Just walk through your head how a wedding is handled and photog-wise with from the early morning preparation to late night.

You don't want to mess up a wedding.

Most reactions

Back