Studio/On Location Lighting

jdenno2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking for a lighting kit that I can use both at my studio and on site (it must be portable) for about $200-300. What type of lighting equipment do you recommend? Are there kits out there that would include everything that I need?

I am looking to do portait photography. I've heard negatives about certain types of lights (too hot, bulb life, etc.).

I'd rather spend the money on something recommended rather than on some random light.

Thanks in advance for your help.

alien bees are probably the most recommended lights, not only on this site, but others I visit as well. I have one, getting more soon, and highly recommend them. www.alienbees.com

define kit, and explain what you expect to get for $2-300. As this question is addressed on a regular basis, the typical answer is that it is often better to pay up front once for a decent set up than to keep upgrading crappy lights off ebay that you are going to be sorry for each time you use them.

For portrait photography, I'd recommend strobe lights over continuous lights as the output is much more consistent and controllable. If you bought this set and upgraded to 800's instead of 400's it will be all you will likely ever need. They are quality strobes with user replaceable bulbs which last about 100,000 cycles. Careful when you are looking at those bargain basement set ups that they may not have user replaceable bulbs.
http://www.alienbees.com/digi.html

Don't take my word for it though, wait and see what others recommend.

Also check ebay, as you can find good deals on second hand bees too at times when you can find a fool who had the mindset that if you pour enough money into a hobby it will automatically make them better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back