Studio Prop, newborn hanging from a tree branch?

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to find a tree branch, which I've seen used as a prop with a newborn hanging in a hammock or sac from the branch.

and no, going to the woods and getting a stick will not work! :lmao:

Any suggestions?

I've looked through Dennys, but I am not seeing anything like this.

Do you have to show the branch? Most shots I've seen only shows the cocoon

Try pet stores that sell birds. They have nice branches (perches) that are supposedly disease free since birds can be fragile and are also quite solid so that parrots can't destroy them too quickly.

Something like this:
Mac's Creations Manzanita Perches at PETCO

Edit: The link is just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I have some in my cages that are over 48" long.

oh awesome! I do want to show the branch. Login | Facebook I'm sure I'm going to get introuble for posting that link since I did not take the photo, I'm still confused about what I can/can't post in regards to pictures! lol
But I want it like this!

Sorry, I don't have a facebook account so I can't see the photo in you're link.

You can post photos that are yours or that you are authorized to post by the actual shooter. Anything else needs to be linked as you just did.

There are different types of wood that are used for perches. If you go to an independently owned pet store, you will probably find someone easier to work with in terms of finding what you want.

Why not? :lol: (Seriously though ... why not? You can buy one, or get one for free. It's still going to be the same thing.)

Not a 'stick', but you could just go out into your back yard with a saw and take a limb off a tree. Just make sure it's a suitable size.

The bird perches don't look like they'll be big enough for what you want to do...
Though, they do make some pretty big bird cages... Maybe check out a pet store and see what they have. I can tell you right now though - it's going to cost more than a saw.
You can get a saw for $10 at Lowe's.

Other than getting the limb yourself, the only thing I can think of is to call someone who sells firewood. They'll surely have something like that.

Last edited:
oh awesome! I do want to show the branch. Login | Facebook I'm sure I'm going to get introuble for posting that link since I did not take the photo, I'm still confused about what I can/can't post in regards to pictures! lol
But I want it like this!
Posting a link to photos you don't own is good :thumbup:, and the proper way to refer other forum members to them. :thumbup:

Why not? :lol: (Seriously though ... why not? You can buy one, or get one for free. It's still going to be the same thing.)

Not a 'stick', but you could just go out into your back yard with a saw and take a limb off a tree. Just make sure it's a suitable size.

The bird perches don't look like they'll be big enough for what you want to do...
Though, they do make some pretty big bird cages... Maybe check out a pet store and see what they have. I can tell you right now though - it's going to cost more than a saw.
You can get a saw for $10 at Lowe's.

Other than getting the limb yourself, the only thing I can think of is to call someone who sells firewood. They'll surely have something like that.

I understand, but I thought maybe they sold these false tree branches somewhere that are maybe really plastic or something.
I don't really want to bring a stick from outside in doors and have a newborn hanging on it.

Real wood will be more authentic. If you buy one, I wouldn't get anything plastic.
I think the difference would be visible in the pictures. I don't think a limb that you cut yourself would be any different that one you bought... Just make sure you get something thick enough to support the weight (store-bought, or procured on your own).

I think with a saw you really could find something as good or better than anything you can buy. The only question is how are you going to mount it? ...But you'll have to deal with that no matter what.

I'm imagining a frame that you could lay the limb in (the frame would not be visible in the picture, obviously), and maybe secure it with a few screws so the limb can't slide out. That's probably something you would have to build yourself...

I would definitely make sure it's strong enough that there's no chance of it ever breaking with a baby hanging in it...

This isn't really the right season for it, but I was serious when I said call the guy that sells firewood. They probably have tons of branches that would be perfect. Check the classified section of your local paper...

They might not advertise in the middle of the summer though...

Please PLEASE please if you go this route practice a TON on a non-real baby!

Soooo many photographers are doing and redoing this pose for newborns, and while it's very cute, there is a TON of risk involved. In my opinion, there are way to many who try this without taking proper safey measure and/or having somebody familiar with the pose "spot" them. Just having mom there "helping" is not enough..it needs to be somebody who knows what they're doing speciffically. A mom is more likely to just stand, nod and accept whatever you're asking her to do without completely understanding the pose and the safety that NEEDS to be involved.

*steps off soapbox.*

Yeah, safety would be the first priority dealing with babies... I think a branch of a suitable thickness (say, about the size of your forearm) would be fine. Obviously, you'll want to test it with something several times heavier than the heaviest load you anticipate putting on it.

Personally, I would find something that can support my weight - and if it can handle that, any baby will be fine.

I absolutely plan on testing and retesting and having spotters.
I have 3 children of my own, so believe me, safety is my NUMBER ONE concern.

I know the studio has foam matts, bean bag chairs, and parents and assistant (me) will be standing by!

Josh, I like your way of looking at this. It happens to be my own way. But the average US parent is scared of natural things and would want this branch you found in the woods to be boiled and boiled again to get rid of potential bad thingggggggggggs.

And, well, I don't know about you, but I don't have a pot big enough, lol.

Therefore, my suggestion for the pet store branch.

Assuming you found a big enough one (which would be entirely possible), the pet store branch would work fine. For this size branch, I can see it costing upwards of $50 though... That's a lot of money for something you can find for free within a few hundred feet of your house...

I think the stand you're going to need to mount this thing will end up costing more than the branch (even if you build it yourself). You could probably do it with a few 2x4's, assuming you already have the required tools. You'll want to get untreated wood for that (treated wood has arsenic in it - not something you're going to want around babies).

As far as killing off whatever bugs might be on the branch (if you cut one yourself), a day or two in the sun ought to do it. UV kills pretty much everything. Obviously, you're not going to want to use anything that's starting to rot...

I wouldn't use anything you find on the ground, for that reason. Cut a fresh limb.
It will probably take about a year to fully dry out, but it will still be usable while you wait.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back