studio setup

cowboyfranko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to setting up a studio in a medium-sized bedroom. I have decided on strobe lighting but, I was curious to how many watts to look at and also how many strobes would it would require. Also, taking into account I will be traveling with my setup as well, to concerts and other various gigs. I would like to keep the price around 700 or less. All suggestions welcome, whether they be about positioning, number or lamps, umbrella/softbox use, or brand names.

Check out Alienbees. They are light (for studio strobes) and therefore easier to carry. Their bodies are lexan plastic, which may (or may not) be less durable than lights with metal housings. It's up to you. I have a set of them and they seem durable enough to me.

As for how many, that's up to you. A creative photographer can work wonders with one light...on the other hand, having 10 lights would really let you get creative. Can you tell us more about what you want to do and your skill/experience level is?

I am a student at Middle Tennessee State University going into my second year of photo classes. I am really into fashion/glamor photography and I shoot mostly digital. I have looked at alienbees before as well as seen other local band photographers use them. I was leaning that way but figured another opinion might be helpful too.

If you are taking photography at University...I would think that you would have access to studio equipment. Maybe not for taking to concerts though.

If you are shooting on location, you may want to consider 'hot-shoe' type flash units. They aren't as powerful as AC powered studio lights, but they are very portable because they use batteries (usually AA).

Check out this site, for some tips... http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Most reactions

Back