Studio Shoot 01 June 2004

Bobman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Please comment.... Thank you.....

st001.jpg

st002.jpg

st003.jpg

My favorite is the last one. I dont like the close crop on the second one. And she just doesnt look comfortable in the first one. Nice composition though.

I like the first and third. The light seems rather harsh for a typical portrait. I know you want to stick with a single light, but is there a reason you don't want to use a reflector?

I like the pose in #2, but I always have a problem with low-key-high-contrast black and white. The ratio from dark to light causes me discomfort

#1 and #2 would have been better for me if you had used a High-key approach. But that's just me. I understand that there are those who like low-key B&W.

#3:
There's too much going against #3. I'm guessing that you were using a moderately telephoto lense (at least 135mm or above) in order to decrease the amount of disproportion in the model's hands, arms, and leg. But it wasn't enough to pull it completely out of the fire because #3's pose is a taboo pose. It runs the risk of "wide-angle distortion". Unless a telephoto is used to compress the image, her hands, forearms and bottom leg will most likely look disproportionate to the overall semitry when using this pose.
I would liked to have seen the extremities placed in the same plane as her face (shooting her from the side or her hands and knee placed close as possible to the same plane as the face.

I guess the third is the best IMO. I don't like the post for the first one, too masculine for a girl that doesn't look like some sort of punk.

All of the eyes are very dark. Where are you specular higlights? I think it would livin' her up, unless dark eyes were your goal, then you've achieved it.

http://www.enmeshed.com/shadermagic/archives/000220.html

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view;jsessionid=GMAABKAFHGEO?id=1027563

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&opt=printable&id=61

When I was in shcool, they were a must have in the eyes or we would auto lose a grade off the assignment.

photong said:

photong, your post is one of the kindest gestures I've seen here on the forum. Most of the our comments here point out flaws rather than remedies. I commend you.

I sometimes sense sarcasm from the general population toward photoshop when, infact, all the really good submissions are Pshopped to some degree.

Your "extended hand of help" to bobman is in my opinion a Gutsy Move considering the prevailing only-raw-camera-counts attitude that can be found in some of the posts here.

Its time for the "age of the darkroom" to pass on the torch. Digital is here to stay! The photographers who hesitate to accept the digital world will be left behind.

Photography is an art form. Photographs are art expressions. The end justifies the means.

I have a suspicion that generally when someone prefers to do single-light portraits it's because that someone hasn't learned to use a more elaborate lighting technique. I have a suspicion that generaly when someone has a peculiar resistance to post processing its because that someone hasn't taken time to learn to use it--What do you think? :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back