studio with no studio?

JimmyJaceyMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I dont have any equipment at all for indoor shots and so I think I just won't be able to do other people's pictures until I get some so the winter I guess will be 'vacation' for me as far as photography. :( No clients unless they want them in the snow! LOL
Any tips on finding inexpensive lighting that works well? I got these in the dinign room but they aren't quality enough to sell. And I got the wrong white balance - oopsies!

steelers2rad.jpg

Last edited:
I use an all natural light studio using window light and reflectors. You just have to time your shoot to the window with the most light at a given time of day.

I use an all natural light studio using window light and reflectors. You just have to time your shoot to the window with the most light at a given time of day.

Yeah that's a good idea, my house is just so dark all the time so I think I need lighting pretty bad!

Gotta spend money to make money.

www.alienbees.com.

Nothing is more true. I did look up different sites for lighting and different ideas. Alienbees do seem to be a great deal and when I checked it out a lot of people do use them and are happy with them.
I guess I need to start playing the lottery! *sigh* LOL

I like to do on location photoshoots at clients' houses sometimes. Although, you never know what the lighting is like and I have a lighting set up that I can bring if it's too dark. I got mine at alienbees.com for around $500. It's worth the investment. I prefer to just use one simple light, but you can always add more lights later if you like.

But, if you can't afford to get lights yet, maybe scout out some indoor locations with good lighting? I once did a photoshoot at the downtown library. It was challenging, but I did get some cute photos of the family reading together.

I use natural light also as much as possible, but i have a location to do so. I know what you mean by your house is pretty dark. Even at mid-day my loungeroom is pitch black.

As said above, its time to splash out for some gear. Its the saving up thats the hard part. Once youve got that over with the buying part is very very fun!

Do you have any sort of off-camera flash at all? If you do, you'd be surprised what you can achieve with a cheap umbrella & stand combo, along with a lead to trigger the flash. This can be done for much, much less than $500.00

Out of interest, how were the shots above lit?

1 light and a reflector can provide a myriad of lighting ratios. If you can afford 1 alien bee, 2 light stands, a softbox and a reflector, you're in business.

If not, look at buying an old speed light like a Nikon SB24 and using it off camera on a light stand with an umbrella. They sell for about $75 on B&H, Adorama, or Keh. All you need then is a light stand, adapter, umbrella, and sync cord. All for probably less than $200.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/05/round-up-starving-student-off-camera.html

1 light and a reflector can provide a myriad of lighting ratios. If you can afford 1 alien bee, 2 light stands, a softbox and a reflector, you're in business.

If not, look at buying an old speed light like a Nikon SB24 and using it off camera on a light stand with an umbrella. They sell for about $75 on B&H, Adorama, or Keh. All you need then is a light stand, adapter, umbrella, and sync cord. All for probably less than $200.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/05/round-up-starving-student-off-camera.html

Oh thanks for that link. This is exactly the question I was wondering is what do I need to start with. I have read and read about all the different kinds of lighting and what they do, how they work but I wasn't sure how to start. The off camera on a light stand is where I will start just at home with my kids to see and then I Really want to get alienbees soon if I can. Hmmmm, Christmas is coming ;)
And I have two umbrellas already and I have seen the other stuff - the stand and stuff on ebay very cheap. I'm excited - I thought I would need like 2,000$ right away from what I was reading.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I usually like to comment individually but I am getting pressured right now - husband: "Come on, lets go internet head." ;)

alien bee's without a doubt

Now wait a minute........Alien Bees are a good suggestion, but if thinking long term photography, a few more bucks will give you much more stability and longevity.
But actually, a little east morning light and a reflector will give you great results too.

Now wait a minute........Alien Bees are a good suggestion, but if thinking long term photography, a few more bucks will give you much more stability and longevity.
But actually, a little east morning light and a reflector will give you great results too.

While I do love the look of natural light it's hard for me to get enough in to make my shutter speed high enough. With children especially, that is tough and that is what I shoot most. My son sits nice and still for me but I have lots of younger ones that definately move too much! :)
What are you thinking as far as the few more bucks with more stability and longevity? A different brand or a whole different type of lighting alltogeher?

THanks for your input and advice. I just may have an opportunity to do some freelance typing for a book publisher so money might be coming soon (crossing fingers, but not too tight, I may need them for typing!) ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back