Studying abroad in Hong Kong for 4 months. Which lenses to bring?

jdong217

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Such a stressful decision since there's no way I can go back once I've made my decision. My dad lent me a lot of lenses since he used to be a photographer, but I don't want to pack too heavily. I have a camera bag that fits my camera, two moderately sized lenses, and my zoom gorillapod.

Also, I will have a backpack so I can fit a few more in there, but I sitll can't bring them all. Here's the listing:

-18-55mm VR f/3.5-5.6 DX
-55-200mm VR f/4-5.6 DX
-105mm f/2.5 Nikkor manual lens
-180mm f/2.8 Nikkor manual lens
-50mm f/1.8 Nikkor manual lens
-55mm f/3.5 micro-Nikkor lens (manual)
-85mm f/1.8 manual
-35mm f/2.8 manual
-28mm f/2.8 manual
-20mm f/3.5 manual
-50mm f/1.4 manual

The manual lenses are all super old, but very good. I was thinking of bringing the 55-200mm just for its versatility. I definitely want the micro 55mm, the 85mm, and the 50mm 1.4 with me as well.

The one thing I'm a little nervous about is not having the 18-55mm with me, but will the 55mm, 85mm, and 50mm make up for it? I'm going to be taking lots of nighttime cityscape pictures and probably pictures of friends too (portraits I guess).

I can definitely bring four lenses with me there, but will probably be limited to 2-3 on picture excursions. So in summary, how do these sound?

1. 55-200mm
2. 85mm
3. 55mm micro
4. 50mm 1.4

If it were me, I think I'd be missing the 18-55, but that's just my opinion. I personally would drop the 85 for the 18-55, but I'm sure several here will think I'm an idiot too :/

jdong217 said:
Such a stressful decision since there's no way I can go back once I've made my decision. My dad lent me a lot of lenses since he used to be a photographer, but I don't want to pack too heavily. I have a camera bag that fits my camera, two moderately sized lenses, and my zoom gorillapod.

Also, I will have a backpack so I can fit a few more in there, but I sitll can't bring them all. Here's the listing:

-18-55mm VR f/3.5-5.6 DX
-55-200mm VR f/4-5.6 DX
-105mm f/2.5 Nikkor manual lens
-180mm f/2.8 Nikkor manual lens
-50mm f/1.8 Nikkor manual lens
-55mm f/3.5 micro-Nikkor lens (manual)
-85mm f/1.8 manual
-35mm f/2.8 manual
-28mm f/2.8 manual
-20mm f/3.5 manual
-50mm f/1.4 manual

The manual lenses are all super old, but very good. I was thinking of bringing the 55-200mm just for its versatility. I definitely want the micro 55mm, the 85mm, and the 50mm 1.4 with me as well.

The one thing I'm a little nervous about is not having the 18-55mm with me, but will the 55mm, 85mm, and 50mm make up for it? I'm going to be taking lots of nighttime cityscape pictures and probably pictures of friends too (portraits I guess).

I can definitely bring four lenses with me there, but will probably be limited to 2-3 on picture excursions. So in summary, how do these sound?

1. 55-200mm
2. 85mm
3. 55mm micro
4. 50mm 1.4

18-55 definitely.
Everything else is matter of flavor. I'm not a fan of primes (too mAny weddings with those) so zooms for me. 50on a crop frame isn't a good walk around so stick in wider range. 105 is a good portrait range Especially on the cropped frAme
Good luck

You need a wide or ultra wide angle lens in Hong Kong when you are up there at the peak looking down. A tripod maybe a good idea for the night scene. Search "hong kong peak" in google images, you will know what I am talking about. And there is a lot of cityscape type shots you can shoot with a wide angle lens.

And the 50mm or the kit lens will be good for street photos.

Hong Kong is an amazing place to shoot, Kowloon (IMO) even more so - Google "Fish Market Street". I would suggest leaving all of the old glass at home and going for versatility: As mentioned, a UWA is essential. Get a Tokina 11-16, a Nikon 18-70 and 70-300. Used, that should be less than $1200 which isn't pocket-change, but this could well be a once in a lifetime opportunity, and if means eating Raman noodles for four months, it's well worth it. You will also need a CPOL and a couple of stops of G-ND. I really consider skipping the Gorillapod in favour of a 'real' tripod. A nice, light-weight four-section CF job will not take up much room, and make some of your shooting a LOT easier.

The reason I got a gorillapod is because in the past few weeks, there were just so many opportunities I could've taken advantage of if I could've wrapped the gorillapod around a fence/railing etc. I may very well get a tripod when I'm there since everything is less expensive over in HK and my wallet is already feeling the squeeze from travel shopping.

Um, I decided so far to bring these:
-18-55
-55-200
-50 1.4
-55 micro
-28 (for wide angle, or should I go with the 20?)

I know it's kind of a lot but I made everything fit comfortably and securely. Also, keep in mind that I'm obviously not taking all 6 of those lenses but maybe 2 whenever I go out to take pictures. It's just scary that I'll be so far away from home if I realize I needed a different lens. I like having the security :)

all of them. lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back