stumbling around in the dark

afoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I convinced my brother to drive out to manning park (about 4 hours outside vancouver, bc) with me last week to shoot some star trails. we've had unusually clear skies here this summer and wanted to take advantage.
everyone was asking me before I left "but where are you actually going to take photos?" (considering the hwy drives over 50km through the park).
I always responded "Ill just stop when I see a good spot".

Turns out I forgot how dark it gets a night...
thankfully I stumbled onto this amazing spot!

c&c welcome. I really like the colours of the trees and creek, however I can't decide if i should fix the verticals so the trees on the left side of the image aren't leaning in so much. thoughts?

one 1970 second exposure.
iso 400
f/4

manningpark by abbye dahl, on Flickr

ps, the blur along the top of the images is the milky way moving through the scene as well.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the inward-leaning trees. Most people will realize this is shot with a wide-angle lens, and therefore "adjust" in their minds to accept the distortion.

Excellent shot, if it were me Id try and fix the trees on the left to see if it makes the image better (doubt it tho) otherwise its an excellent shot

As always, beautiful work! I hope I can 'stumble' as much 1 night...
do you have to find Polaris to get this circular action? I thought I read that somewhere?
did you focus on trees or to infinity? As a newbie, thought F4 doesn't give that much DOF..
lovely,
Nancy

great shot!! i always have wanted to do star trails but have not got a chance to do it yet

do you have to find Polaris to get this circular action? I thought I read that somewhere?
did you focus on trees or to infinity? As a newbie, thought F4 doesn't give that much DOF..
lovely,
Nancy

hi NancyMoran, to answer your question, "polaris" or the north star represents one of the axis that the earth spins around. So if your north star is in the shot the other stars will circle it:

lions bay by abbye dahl, on Flickr

There is a southern equivalent to this star as well. This image was taken in Chile, facing south:

a rushed dinner by abbye dahl, on Flickr

so if you are facing east or west the stars on either side will swirl in opposite directions, and you'll see something like this:

atacama stars by abbye dahl, on Flickr

does that make sense?

Opposite directions?! That is amazing, thanks for the science lesson.
i am on Cape Cod, Ma, and wil have to go find Polaris :)
Nancy

Opposite directions?! That is amazing, thanks for the science lesson.
i am on Cape Cod, Ma, and wil have to go find Polaris :)
Nancy

An ordinary magnetic compass will give you a rough idea of where to start looking. It is also the "end" star of the little dipper.

$images.jpeg

Thank you designer. I have seen Big D numerous times this summer, and can not seem to find Little D although it is supposed to be 'near by'..
will have to take my sky app out there!!
Nancy

Better hurry, those stars are moving at thousands of miles per hour.

Excellent star trail images. The framing is perfect, and I wouldn't worry much about those trees.

thanks for the kind words everyone, and the extra info on how to find the north star!

I convinced my brother to drive out to manning park (about 4 hours outside vancouver, bc) with me last week to shoot some star trails. we've had unusually clear skies here this summer and wanted to take advantage.
everyone was asking me before I left "but where are you actually going to take photos?" (considering the hwy drives over 50km through the park).
I always responded "Ill just stop when I see a good spot".

Turns out I forgot how dark it gets a night...
thankfully I stumbled onto this amazing spot!

c&c welcome. I really like the colours of the trees and creek, however I can't decide if i should fix the verticals so the trees on the left side of the image aren't leaning in so much. thoughts?

one 1970 second exposure.
iso 400
f/4

manningpark by abbye dahl, on Flickr

ps, the blur along the top of the images is the milky way moving through the scene as well.
I KNOW you're jerking my chain; that can't be Manning Park, there's no snow!

;)

Great capture!

Most reactions

Back