Stupid camera buying question

muleonomics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a lot of money, but I don't want to waste it. I am looking for an APS-C grade underwater, rugged, camera to take on a trip the jungle soon.

The Leica X-U is the only thing that fits the bill. It has an APS-C sensor and takes quality pictures that I could frame later. perfect! But I usually find Leica cameras are a brand thing. It's priced at $3000 and it probably should cost $1000 (if it were a Fuji or Olympus it would).

Can somebody recommend a good jungle camera with an APS-C sensor... that is not a Leica rip off price?

Unless you are shooting underwater, I seriously think you don't need an underwater camera. Why do you think you need an underwater camera to shoot in jungles? Why an APS-C sensor?

Most camera manufacturers design weatherproof cameras and lenses. Olympus is not an APS-C sized sensor.

My $3000 pots and pans make quality meals too. lol.

Consistent photograph image quality is almost entirely due to photographer skill and knowledge.
Understanding how to get the best performance from whatever camera you are using, controlling exposure and depth-of-filed, and understanding how important light quality and direction is to image quality are key skills to master.

Yep, Olympus uses a Four/Thirds, 2x crop sensor.

Any weatherproof camera fitted with weatherproof lenses would be fine.

I have spent a lot of time shooting in jungles. On my first assignment to a tropical jungle I added a Calypso to my kit. (The Calypso is the design Nikon emulated for their Nikonos cameras.) I ran zero rolls of film through the underwater camera. When it rains, visibility drops significantly and there isn't a lot to shoot in the rain. If it's raining and you shoot, typically you'll be shooting into the rain, under some sort of shelter ... a tree, hut, poncho, et cetera. There is plenty to see and shoot in light rain ... but if the rain is Monsoon like, forget it.

Weatherproof bags and backpacks are helpful, thick plastic bags of all sizes are extremely useful. If you have an A/C environment inside and a tropical environment outside, be careful of condensation if it's extremely humid. If it becomes a problem, Ziplock your stuff. There are raincoats made/fitted specifically for cameras and lenses. Some weatherproof lenses require a filter on the front element to completely seal the lens. Mud will ruin your day, bag everything.

Last edited:
Don't forget deep woods off

Hi guys, I appreciate the advice. But even if Ansel Adams or Andreas Feininger said "It's not about the camera".... I still think its largely mis-construed by nearly every amateur or professional photographer who quotes it. A good camera makes a world of difference, but when you know how to use it. When you know how to frame a shot, how to optimize your natural lighting, or how to capture the right moment in your subjects faces. These things take human intelligence. The optimal situation occurs when that human intelligence is mated with a machine with great intelligence.

To frame a shot and capture a moment, you need brains in your head. To get image quality out of that shot, or IQ, you need a good machine to back you up. I believe I have the former, and I am looking for the latter.

You simply cannot take this shot (attached) on an iPhone 6 or an Android. You can't get the bokeh, the depth of field, and the shutter speed won't allow for it. Impossible. I don't care how big your brain is, you can't get that shot with just any old camera. It was taken with a Canon 5D MKiii with a 200mm prime lens. About $4000 worth of equipment.

So please, back to my original question. Is there a waterproof camera with an APS-C sensor (why? that is my minimal standard in sensors) that competes with the Leica X-U? I want to drag this thing through the mud. I want it to be durable!

My wife already have me permission to buy the darn Leica. This camera should cost $1000, but it doesn't Does anybody want to save me $2000? Lol.

Last edited:
To clarify.... I don't need an underwater camera for jungles. I want one. I want the piece of mind of not having to worry about it. I want the durability.

And it does not hurt to have the option to take it snorkeling.

Leica X-U (Typ 113)

"
  • Expensive. Slow autofocus. Tends to overexpose Raw images. Doesn't support true full manual control. Omits Wi-Fi.

• BOTTOM LINE
    The Leica X-U (Typ 113) is a ruggedized, waterproof compact camera with an SLR-sized image sensor that takes great photos, but it's very expensive.
    "

I would buy some kind of underwater bag, or underwater housing, from Ewa Marine, or one of another half-dozen brands, and put a REAL, APS-C camera in it....not some over-priced Panasonic...errrr, I mean Leica.

You want durable? Keep in mind....the compact cameras are built with throw-away grade guts and components.

Cameras like the U-X are also camewras that serve as fancy necklaces for rich guys, so there is that aspect to it.

Good cross-post to your other thread at Is there an alternative to the Leica X-U?

No one else offers a tough / waterproof camera with an APS-C sensor. It also has a f1.7 lens as well. It looks like it is very well made and it fits your needs. Why fuss at the price since you said you have a lot of money? I don't get it....

Good thoughts Derrel. I would totally just buy an underwater case for my Fuji X70 but I cannot find one. Not from Ikelite, or anybody else.

If anybody knows where I can get one, I would really enjoy knowing!!

Lol, because people who have a lot of money don't like to spend it if they don't have to. Part of why they have a lot of money in the first place. (unless they inherited it, then ugh who knows)

Lol, because people who have a lot of money don't like to spend it if they don't have to. Part of why they have a lot of money in the first place. (unless they inherited it, then ugh who knows)
It's not a waste if it fits your needs.

Good thoughts Derrel. I would totally just buy an underwater case for my Fuji X70 but I cannot find one. Not from Ikelite, or anybody else.

If anybody knows where I can get one, I would really enjoy knowing!!

Well...maybe B&H Photo has some underwater gear. With emphasis on the "machine", and on "APS-C as minimum" quality....I was thinking maybe go balls-out...and buy a housing for a real, quality d-slr camera. I dunno.

You could buy a bag housing, or two or three, and even it if leaked and ruined the camera, you could likely throw away a cheap Nikon or Canon $459 camera and be $2500 ahead...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back