Stupid Crazy Ideas!

Sw1tchFX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So it's 1:30AM and I just got a crazy (and stupid) idea for a portrait session I have on friday.

Go out to a Lake (green lake if anyone cares, or is from the Seattle area), and have my model wear a dress (think prom dress) with a fishing hat, FISHING! I'd have her lean back with the pole stretching like she caught something and the hat would be flying off!

The photo would make no sense!

I'd use a wide angle lens to make the fishing pole look really long and give it perspective, and use 2 strobes with umbrella's to get a nice diffused light on each side of her (key and fill) and knock the background off about a stop from the flash exposure. If I did it in the afternoon, I could use the sun as a hair light too!

So I'm curious, has anyone else got a stupid/crazy idea like that, that they've shot before? I think it would be great to share our ideas!

Most of my ideas are only stupid/crazy to me because how impractical they are.
As in I'd need a long studio with a high roof, which i don't have access to OR have to buy a travel pack to use my lights on location outdoors away from a power supply.

Just cause you haven't seen it doesn't mean it hasn't been done but it sounds like a neat idea I hope you show us some pics if you do it.

I think it has been done but that is immaterial. It's your idea even if someone else had it to. Besides except for all the junk you need to make it happen, it sounds like fun.

Nobody ever wants to hear this but of course I'm going to say it anywhat. My rule for portriat shoots was always Kiss. Not the idea or the composition just the equipment I had to lug outside the studio. In the studio it was the same.

Just a thought.

I had a stupid crazy landscape idea. It was 1AM Saturday morning and I had an urge to go take photos. So I checked my msn list and sure enough there were other people bored at 1AM. So we packed the car and headed to Mt Neebo, and went hiking.

2 Flashlights, a tripod, cable release, and a stobe and we were off. 20min later we found the lookout. One 3 minute exposure, and I thought before I was finished I really want some foreground so I fired my flash on manual 4 times I think.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/204/483765404_1fbe2d624e_b.jpg

I wanted to go for a longer exposure and get more stars but the clouds came in too quickly. All I can say is yay for stupid ideas. They make by far the most interesting photos.

My rule for portriat shoots was always Kiss.
Keep It Simple Stupid. We'll see how it goes, my model's thrilled!

Garbz, that is pretty cool looking!

Sounds like an excellent idea. We are only limited by our imaginations, so do not limit your self. If that makes any sense (it's 1:33 am here). Point is to try everything. You will quickly figure out if it works or not. One of the few rules of photography is to have fun!

Love & Bass

6 pound test fishing line attached to the hat and another fishing pole with an assistant to jerk it off her head when you say "Action!". ;)

mike

p.s. you might have to affix the hat at two or three points to get it oriented right

hell lets go with the hollywood wind machine here. Blow the hat off and her hair in the same direction at the same time. that fishing line to hold it on till you yell action..

Don't forget to do the shot of her leaning against a post with the hat pulled down. Might not be as cool but will be easier. Just in case.

hahaha I love it. I wonder what the funniest / dumbest yet good photo idea the collective minds on this forum could come up with. This is already a winner and I think it still has places to evolve.

Switch yeah that photo surprised both of us that night lol.

I'm going to end up having about 3 assistants on this one, One holding the light if it's windy, another pulling the hat, another tugging on the wire from the pole, and if it's not windy, i'll have the other use a big fill card or something as a fan to blow her hair back.

This is goign to be so much fun!

Can't wait to see this! I'm sweating in anticipation...

Most reactions

Back