stupid film

Brently

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I got 2 rolls of film developed at 2 different places.
the shots that i wanted the most didnt develope.

one place gave me a index of the prints, it had 3 prints that i wanted with X's over them. (waterfall) this roll was B&W

the other place i got 32 of 36 pictures. This roll was color.(missing same waterfall)

why does this happen?
they were taken with long shutter exposure times, the other were normal speed.

Look at your negatives. Do you see the images in question? The only reasons most labs wouldn't print an image would be that the exposure is off so much that they are unprintable (underexposed = neg is almost clear, overexposed = neg is almost solid black), or that they feel the images are illegal (nudes, etc...).

ksmattfish said:
Look at your negatives. Do you see the images in question? The only reasons most labs wouldn't print an image would be that the exposure is off so much that they are unprintable (underexposed = neg is almost clear, overexposed = neg is almost solid black), or that they feel the images are illegal (nudes, etc...).

I've had problems with labs refusing to print dark photos just because the machine decides they are underexposed (when they aren't - they're just intentionally dark). Look at the negatives, and if they look okay go back and insist they get printed. Most places will redo your pictures for free, though of course it is a hassle.

Someone once told me to go to a decent photo lab and shoot a "calibration shot" at the start of each roll - just a photo of some normal daylit scene. Then ask the lab to print everything else with the same settings as the normal daylight shot and you should get everything printed relatively close to how you exposed it. That was earlier this month, and I'm still waiting on payday to bring in my 10 exposed rolls for processing ($100 if I go to a good lab!)

you can also tell the clerk that you want EVERY frame printed irregardless of the exposure....that way you know you've got what you want...and the ones that aren't what you want, well you learn by examining them..

SWFLA1 said:
you can also tell the clerk that you want EVERY frame printed irregardless of the exposure....that way you know you've got what you want...and the ones that aren't what you want, well you learn by examining them..

And if you make the mistake of going to walmart, you can return and once again tell the clerk that you want EVERY frame printed regardless of exposure.... and then you can return and once again tell the clerk that you want EVERY frame printed regardless of exposure... and then you can return and once again tell the clerk that you want EVERY frame printed regardless of exposure... and then you can return and once again tell the clerk that you want EVERY frame printed regardless of exposure... and then you can return and once again tell the clerk that you want EVERY frame printed regardless of exposure...

And then maybe you'll have all your photos done. Except the brightness on that fireworks shot was cranked up to make it daylight-bright, so you have to return one last time and get it fixed :)

I'll never go to walmart again, except for cheap daylight party snapshots and that sort of thing... which they actually do a decent job of.

Sounds like the same luck that I've had going to "discounters". The alternative is to find a good camera store that processes on site. Costs a little more, but if you're a regular it gives you a chance to build a relationship with the lab people.

Good Luck!

the index card has the pictures i am missing with an X over them... they are really light colored but i think that is because the X did it to them... i will scan the index card and have it up tomorrow. on the other roll i didnt see the pictures on the negative slides.

SWFLA1 said:
Sounds like the same luck that I've had going to "discounters". The alternative is to find a good camera store that processes on site. Costs a little more, but if you're a regular it gives you a chance to build a relationship with the lab people.

Today I went to a dedicated photo lab (not really a camera store, mostly they do processing, framing, and picture albums), it cost about twice as much as a discount place, but it was worth it. I got index cards (whoohoo) and every shot was beautifully processed, whether day or night - even star trails. I've had star trails done by discount places but it took 3 returns to get them right.

As an aside, anybody else sort of ambivalent about the intense saturation boost that digitally-equipped photo labs add? Getting realistic colours is a bit difficult sometimes, though usually a bit of a boost looks good.

Most reactions

Back