Stupid question about 100% crop

Jptex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I use Lightroom, when someone says they look at a picture at 100% crop, what is that in Lightroom? Is it the 1:1 ratio? I don't see a percentage any where. Any help would be appreciated..

100% crop means a pixel in the image shows up as one pixel on the monitor. Not being a LR user, I'd say 1:1 is the same as 100%.

100% crop means 1:1 in lightroom as seen here:

GziidFC.jpg

100% crop means a pixel in the image shows up as one pixel on the monitor. Not being a LR user, I'd say 1:1 is the same as 100%.
Thanks sparky. I didn't know that to. To me cropping is cutting off parts of the picture so... 100% crop meant... no picture as 100% of it was cut off. :lol: Stupid terms.

That actually muddies the water completely. It explains nothing, and just has some random examples.

I can easily see where someone who doesn't have their head wrapped around the term would think, "Oh, I can just crop the image to any dimension I want and it will be a '100% crop'!"

A 100% crop basically means that you set the photo to fullsize in your editing software of choice (or ratio of 1:1).

You then crop that image using the crop tool to a smaller size, selecting a portion you want to show.

From there you can then upload that 100% crop, which has had no resizing performed upon it, to the internet.

Thus it allows you to show the sharpness, noise and overall image quality of the photo at 100% view without having to host the full thing online (since those on slower connections won't want to wait to see it and it also means that people can't just steal and print your stuff).

Sorry, but I must be stupid. I don't see anything on that linked site that explains what 100% MEANS.

It just says 'this is a 100% crop'. So what? They show another 100% crop. Yeah, that's nice. Here's another shot, it's NOT a 100% crop. OK, so it looks different.... but WHY?

That whole page looks like you can just take your crop tool, pick out any portion of an image, and slap a 100% crop label on it.

Sparky read the text at the very top of the linked page

"A 100% crop is a crop, not resized, from the full size image. If you want too see a detail of a photo at full resolution, you have two possibilities: you can show the entire photo at full resolution (but it is not recommended for internet, since it would take some time to download), otherwise you can show just a small portion of the photo. In other words, to reduce the image size for internet, you crop a small portion of the image, instead of resizing the entire image to 800 or 720px. "

Most reactions

Back