Subfolders

3Dogs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am curious how my organization method differs from other non-professionals out there. I break my folders down by Year, then a date descriptive folder initially (ie \2015\2015-04-12 Zoo). As I have less than 100 folders in a given year, it is easy for me to find anything with very little effort and I will frequently use windows explorer to find and view pictures. However, what I am discussing here is the subsequent subfolders after my main folder above. In various readings/videos etc, I have started to use a subfolder system such as:

\2015\2015-04-12 Zoo
Capture-JPG
Capture-RAW
Output-Print
Output-Screen
Output-Screen-small

This has worked out well for me so far... as I only import the Capture-RAW folder into Lightroom. The Capture-JPG folder is just for reference, though I could easily just delete those files (I don't have any in camera processing set up and keep it as neutral as possible so the histogram is more useful with ETTR. I also feel the less my camera does, the faster things should be and the least impact to the buffer. I have recently stopped creating JPG altogther). The other three folder are for the Exported files from Lightroom (I have Export presets set up for each of these).

However, the one wall I hit... is that Lightroom always tries to put my files in a subfolder off where I am processing (in this case Capture-RAW). I don't want my subfolder off that one.. and prefer not to move my raw files up a level (though that is certainly an option). Lightroom could easily add this feature if they allowed a shortcut to the parent folder in the export dialog.. such as: .\Capture-Screen. I think this would be a very useful feature.. as you could then control exactly where you want your files to go. For example, this could go up two levels and put it a different folder completely if you really wanted to: .\.\newfolder\Capture-Screen

Since this functionality is not there, I created a simple batch program that would move the files for me... and I just have to run it after my export is complete. I also run it in the beginning to set up my folder structure and move the files I recently imported from the camera.

Another useful feature would be to have Lightroom kick off a program after it exports.. similar to their Post Processing in Another application. However, rather than sending my files to another application, I just want to run another application.

Here is my simple batch program if anybody is interested. I will rename it from .bat to .txt so it won't be treated as a program. You would have to rename it back if you wanted to use it.

Attachments

• Organize.txt
    412 bytes · Views: 104
I don't keep anything but Raw files and edits and any other sized files are generated as I need them.
Lightroom won't move files unless you allow it to.
Put the files where you want, then use 'Add' option in import dialog and the files stay where they are.

upload_2015-4-28_13-38-12.png

So...buying your book is useful to me in some way? I guess you didn't really read my post.... But thanks anyway.

My 10 step program to LR sanity:
1) I pull the files off the memory card with LR, a lot of people don't do this, and I do it for one reason: to rename the Raw files with the date put in front of the file name using yyyymmdd. This date is added for two reasons, to never repeat a file name and to make it very easy to find a file if on a different drive.
2) The files are processed with Copy and placed into Archive/NEF/Year/Month-Day folder, adding Metadata as you can also do with the Add option.
3) In LR the files are also located by date, just as you have except I do not add any description to the date, only \2015\2015-04-12
4) Collections are used for projects (some photos are in multiple collections).
5) I also use Export Presets.
6) Export Preset includes:
a) Location to save file, i.e.: \Developed\2015\JPG\Zoo (Set Export To: "Specific Folder")
b) File name gets a Custom Text added after name and then the picture size.
c) Sharpening is set depending on what the Preset is for.
7) Generally my Developed directory has folders that follow my Collections names - I add the "Put In Subfolder" and type in the same name as the Collection so I don't go using other names when Exporting.
8) Under Developed I have the Year and then JPG, TIFF, PSD
9) The TIFF and PSD are usually just a holder for files that are further processed by PS, On1, Stacker, or I am sending to a graphic artist.
10) Generally I have a rating for all photos that were exported and I now prefer to use LR to find pictures (find the Raw file and either Export again or with the name can find the JPG with a quick search).

Reading The DAM book would be extremely useful in learning effective methods for managing your digital image files.

I
Reading The DAM book would be extremely useful in learning effective methods for managing your digital image files.

I'm already quite happy with my process as stated in the original post. I am offering it up for discussion in a forum (along with recomendations for Adobe to improve Lightroom if they are reading). If you don't want to discuss, that is fine...but a book recomendation speaks nothing to what sub folders you use. Perhaps you follow the book word for word (I wouldn't know based on what you posted)..but I am not about to buy a book to see what the author does.

Dave- your process has some similarities. I didn't get into my full workflow and can do so easier when I get in front of a real keyboard. I certainly agree on using a unique time stamp file name. I do that when I import and convert to DNG.

I

I'm already quite happy with my process as stated in the original post. I am offering it up for discussion in a forum (along with recomendations for Adobe to improve Lightroom if they are reading). If you don't want to discuss, that is fine...but a book recomendation speaks nothing to what sub folders you use. Perhaps you follow the book word for word (I wouldn't know based on what you posted)..but I am not about to buy a book to see what the author does.

Dave- your process has some similarities. I didn't get into my full workflow and can do so easier when I get in front of a real keyboard. I certainly agree on using a unique time stamp file name. I do that when I import and convert to DNG.
I don't understand the need to maintain a complex folder hierarchy of different sized images when LR will handle all the edits and export them at the size one needs.
I use plugins to handle export to my own website on zenfolio and Twitter no fuss, no bother.

I don't understand the need to maintain a complex folder hierarchy of different sized images when LR will handle all the edits and export them at the size one needs.
I use plugins to handle export to my own website on zenfolio and Twitter no fuss, no bother.

I guess the reasoning may lie in that I export 100% of my edited raw to the Screen-jpg folder. These are all personal use files that I share with my wife and family (who do not want to have to export anything). I do not like to have duplicates in this folder as I would find that confusing in how I use the files. The one Print folder is where I put anything exported for print (these are few). It has additional sharpening and the file name has the image ratio in it. The only other sized folder is where I have a reduced size jpg for uploading. I don't use this as much for Facebook, as originally intended as I think the full resolution versions look so much better with whatever compression they do.

I will have to look into a Facebook plugin to see how I like that. I only upload a small portion of my photos and put them in folders. I imagine this would require setting up collections?

I read what you say and I still don't get the need for all those additional files that aren't in LR.
I have several export presets that I use when I need a specific output file for a specific reason. Then the file goes away into the bit bucket.
If I print a file, I make a virtual copy, sharpen a bit more and that is automatically saved in LR with a new name - and I mark it as printed.
I have 37,000 files and I can't imagine how many files I'd have if I saved for every use, not to mention the space.

If however, this works for you, go for it.

Most reactions

Back