subject in the center?

The problem is not the composition... even though I prefer your crop..but rather you would have cropped from the other side to remove the darker . thicker branches.. but anyway , the problem is the branch thru the bird.. It is also, pretty darn hard to shoot in the 200mm zone without a tripod...( Shake)

The branch unfortunately kills the shot.. its one of those things you sometimes don't think about when trying to focus on the bird..

Funny that mike mentions that, becuase I found myself looking at the crop much longer than the centered image.

I personally like the feel of the crop, it looks like he could fly off at any moment. For my eyes, it really helps having the subject on the crossing of the thirds going both horizontal AND verticle, like the first crop.

You think the brach kills the shot. I like that of course I have no taste. And cindy I never use the rule of thirds as an excuse for anything. I happen to think the balance is better with a vertical crop thats all and if you do that you might as well use the portrait crop.

I am pretty sure most of your portraits have the eyes somewhere near the top third of the image. The ones I have seen do. So there rofl...

You are more traditional than you think. You might not like it since you pride yourself on being a maverick but I would bet most of your stuff is classical set in a funky place. Take a look at your last head and shoulder portrait posted here. Take away the rusty window and its classic all the way. Composition wise.

Ps. I have this arguement over sunday dinner at my house every week.

The rule of thirds is a technique that is used to add impact to the image. Will it always work? Maybe not. At least not in this case in my opinion. I like the original best so far.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back