Subject too dark?

I wouldn't recommend starting with night shots. They are a challenge (do you have a tripod?). With that kit lens (I have the Canon version) you need to have reeeeaaallly long exposures to get good bright city lights. This was my FIRST (so not saying it's good!) attempt at night city shots: https://www.flickr.com/photos/106621223@N02/13796352403/ That's a 10 second exposure, with the aperture wide open, on a tripod. And it doesn't hold a candle to a lot of the night shots I see here at TPF.

The best place to start is page 1 of your manual, with your camera in your hands, in a brightly lit area outside. Do everything the book says. Take a picture of the same flower at each and every aperture on your camera to see what happens to depth of field, etc. Once you get through the manual you'll have a really good understanding of what your camera is capable of, and where you can compromise. Also I'd recommend starting with aperture or shutter priority to get your feet wet, rather than full manual. It's a little easier to remember one or two variables than all three.

And have fun!

Thank you, i will leave the night shots for now, i believe it is a hard place to start learning indeed. thanks a lot and i like your photo from flickr, nice city u live in :D

It's a fantastic city! :) I'm not saying that night photography isn't awesome (I wish I could get out more) but if you're learning how to use the camera, the best way to start is to be in the most ideal, easily repeatable conditions, experiment, review, and repeat.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back