Suggestions for an Excellent Compact Digital?

Good luck jeffnyc. If you don't win the G11, consider the S90 again. It has the same sensor, is more compact, and a faster lens at wide angle.

They're both good cameras, but with the G11, you'll still be missing shots because you haven't bothered to bring the camera with you.

People who say it is not as natural to hold as an SLR are really missing the point. With a little practice, it is quite easy. The grip does not feel as secure, but this is an accepted compromise for the small size.

Here are a couple more photos from the opera the other night. This is one of these events in which if I ask if cameras are allowed, the answer is no. But if I don't ask, and you cancel the flash, and you don't shoot enough to distract others, no one will bug me. The camera had to be pocket-sized. G11 or SLR wouldn't have gotten the pix.

IMG_0145_2.jpg

IMG_0141_2.jpg

Both shots were taken at 28mm, f/2, and at least ISO 800.

There are shots you couldn't get with the S90 as well, the 1/4000th shutter of the G11 comes in quite handy, as will the hotshoe. Toss the G11 in the pocket of cargo pants or a belt case - problem solved.

That said, I agree that the S90 is a dang fine camera and more compact of course.

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess you're right. I checked out the G11 next to an S90 in Best Buy today. The G11 is quite nice. I love all the dials. If I make a few bucks I don't know what to do with, I may buy one of these too.

It is actually not much easier to hold onto than the S90. The right thumb is just as clumsily placed as on the S90. But the fingers are better placed. The hot shoe to me, is superfluous on a non-SLR. If you're going to bulk it up that much, may as well just get out the SLR. I guess if you don't have an SLR, it makes sense.

well, it might be superfluous, except that you can easily use the hotshoe to trigger off camera flash, which is rather handy. or, if you wanted to you could use it on camera as well (obviously).

I have the powershot sx20is and like it a lot, it's a little more then a P&S, check out my pictures on my website the slideshow on page 2 has a full range of pics,just remember i'm a beginner

I ordered the Canon S90 and, before I could cancel the order, it was on the way.

So, I ordered the Canon G11 as well.

It seems the pros and cons pretty much put them on par.

I'll open them up when I get them and compare. Portability may be the final deciding factor, although a professional photographer friend (this dude shoots celeb portraits, etc.) did recommend the G11.

Hmmmm!

Thanks All!
Jeff

1. Yes
2. Better off how?

"I don't want to purchase an SLR (don't need to make huge prints) and don't want to lug it around on vacations (although I love SLRs)."

I'm starting to think you're trigger happy with the 'add to cart' and 'finish checkout' buttons. You already have 2 cameras in the mail, both are capable of doing what you want from what I read in your post. Are there better alternatives out there? Of course. No matter what you get there will ALWAYS be something better - at some point you just have to decide if what you have is giving you the results you need/want. If so, great - if not, is it worth the expense to change?

Right now you're essentially on a spending spree and I really don't think you know what you need. Slow down, read, find examples of similar photos you're trying to recreate, etc.

The camera is only a small percentage of the final product.

I only say that because I kind of went through the same thing last year.

DSLR's
D40, D80, D200, D90, N75 (film kick), D300s - also in the mix were the D60 and D5000.

P&S
Canon SX120IS, Canon S90, Canon G11

Most reactions

Back