Suggestions for "Bridge" super zoom compact camera (probably used)

mario4eva

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a bridge super zoom compact. Buying digital cameras is something I hate due to hundreds of camera models, frequent "updates" that are often minor revisions, and basic features being left off some higher end models just to make it harder to choose.

Budget wise I suspect I will be looking for a used camera. I'm looking to spend up to $250 or so but at that price range I would expect to get everything I want (and I haven't found this yet so in that case I would prefer to find a used older model for around $100 and then wait for newer models to drop for a future upgrade).

Here are my requirements/wants - any advice or suggestions for models would be greatly received.

- To be used as an 11 year old's first camera. I would rather that he be able to learn a bit about cameras and photography rather than just point and shoot, so therefore I'm keen to get him something that offers almost full manual controls

- An electronic viewfinder seems to be something later models have all eliminated. Why?? Am I old fashioned in wanting one of these or are these considered a terrible omission for new models?

- Good/reasonable low light function. I know that cheap cameras don't offer great low light function but if there are models that are better for this I would like to consider them. Speed of autofocus and power on to first shot are also nice to have features.

I have considered the Canon SX510 but am put off by the older DIGIC 4 processor. Should I be? I'm a little reluctant to buy a new camera with DIGIC 4 if the cheaper SX280 uses the latest DIGIC 6 but is this the wrong way to think about it?

I did consider the SX280 initially but heard about battery firmware issues. Also I'm not really sure that I like the form factor - would it be better to have an "SLR type body" in order to get a feel for the real thing??

Anyway any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: One old model I was considering was the Fuji FinePix S2000HD - thoughts on this and/or other options appreciated :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back