suggestions for Canon XTi accessories/lenses, flash, etc.

Trish1977

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought the Rebel XTi with the 2 lens kit (18-55 & 75-300). So, I'm trying to set my priorities for additional purchases. While learning I know I will be shooting all kinds of things in many different situations, however I want my focus to be on portrait photography and capturing candid shots of people (especially my nieces and nephews).

So, since I can't buy everything I need at once, where do you think I should start?

I know I need:
better lenses, but not sure which ones should be priority
better flash than the built in flash
lighting
a light meter
a TRIPOD (I don't know if I need one now, or if I should wait until I can afford a good one)
filters? (I have UV filters for both lenses and one circular polorizer)

What's are the things that will improve my photos the most right now (other than knowledge, understanding, and experience)?

for portraits you can use the nifty fifty, or an 85 prime. and for flashes consider the 430EX or 530EX, but there are also really other good flash companies out there.

defintly drop 80$ and get the "nifty fifty" 50mm F1.8 lens will be your lens for portraits and just about anything else once you start to learn to use it (then again you do have the 75-300 which'll help for long distances).

Flash pretty much if you got the money either ones buszaj mentioned if you wanna go with setting it your self (good to learn) then a sunpak 383 runs about 80$ and is LOVED i love it.

a tripod is really a must for portraits, but if you want to wait you could find a steady surface. some dont suggest cheaping out, i had a 25$ no name one for about 3 years and it got some good use (heck even dropped) and it still holds up fine, i am getting though a nicer one for christmas. So thats up to you, go to the store and feel them and see what you like.

get the camera in and then see what you think is priority. in the world of cameras you can spend a little, a good amount, and a lot on just about anything so it really has to do with what quality you want and how much you want to spend

Thanks for the feedback!

for portraits you can use the nifty fifty, or an 85 prime. and for flashes consider the 430EX or 530EX, but there are also really other good flash companies out there.

So, what are some other good flashes other than the Canon ones? Are the Canon ones the best?

Should I try to get a good light meter ASAP? I'm still trying to figure out how to achieve "correct" exposures so this would help with that, right?

I'm going to get an inexpensive tripod/monopod for now and better ones later.

Thanks for the feedback!
Should I try to get a good light meter ASAP? I'm still trying to figure out how to achieve "correct" exposures so this would help with that, right?
A light meter isn't really that important. You can easily get by with the TTL meter, especially after you've spent some time with it.

Canon flashes are the best to use for Canon...yes.
The 430EX and the 580EX are the two to look for.
As for lenses..get the 50mm 1.8 no matter what you're taking pictures of. It's awesome.

You should be able to do good candid portraits outdoors with yoru 75-300. That's some good reach, and it's not horribly slow for outdoor sunshine.

You won't need a light meter yet...TTL metering will be fine. It's actually usable for about 99% of situations.

Here's what I purchased a while back for portraits and enjoy it very much:

50mm f1.8
85mm f1.8
550EX used and a 420EX used.
Good tripod to hold the camera
Cheap tripod to hold the 420EX as a slave.
DIY diffuser for the 420EX slave and/or 550EX master.

Throw in a good location and have fun.

Of course.. if portraits (noncandid), you might consider just investing in a set of nice strobes. IMO, lighting is just as important (if not more important) than glass when it comes to portraits.

To be honest.. you can even stick with your kit lenses and just invest in LIGHTING (dedicated flash with off shoe cord or a strobe set). You can learn A LOT just with that set.

while you are at it... check out www.strobist.com

btw.... don't worry about the light meter YET. If you do get one.. make sure it is a flash meter as well.

Most reactions

Back