I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
rather than separate backdrops, I would like to try just going with a gray muslin or seamless paper and using gels to adjust the color.
anyone have some suggestions for some gels that they have had good experiences with? they will be going on SB700's and YN568EX's if specific sizes are needed. thanks.

I have used Rosco with success. I've also seen Rogue used well. I'm sure there are others. My Rosco set came with Velcro strips attached. I simply bought corresponding Velcro strips at a local hardware store to put on my flashes. If you had a plain set, you could just buy thin Velcro to go on the gels and flashes. And you can cut the gels to fit your flashes. Or you could spend for gels that come with a complete speed attachment system. This is an item that I would not spend a lot on. I view it as a non-critical item and the brand or even quality isn't that important to me.

Amber, orange, deep blue, red, purple, pink. What's weird is that sometimes a purple-looking gel actually photographs as a rich blue color. One of my favorite gel colors is some old, thick purple stuff that I bought years ago from a theatrical lighting supply place that went out of business; it looks purple to my eyes, but photographs like blue sky! I tend to prefer very DARK background paper over lighter gray, unless I want a light,pastel color from the gels.

So.... Some cheap gels that velcro to the flash will work well?
Have to look around and see what i can find.

I never bother with the Velcro - a couple of little bits of gaff' tape work just fine. Another great source (if you can find them) is the old coloured sheets used on overhead projectors. I found a big box of them in an office I was cleaning out a few years ago; red, blue, yellow & green, and they're big enough to go over a fairly large reflector.

If you want a fun little project, you can make some simple gel holders out of cardstock, with two flaps that act like "wings"...the gel and its two "wings" fold up in storage, a lot like those cheap old-fashioned cardboard 3-D glasses...the "wings" can be held on with a rubber band. I think you can figure out what I am talking about.

Thats why I am buying this.. but mod will probably remove my link again.

Yep!

If you only shooting the background, you can easily change the background color using photoshop. Unless of course the person is wearing a similar color.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another stupid TPF rule. I mean if I was a new member posting a crowd funding website for personal gain.. i get it. Give me a !#$!#%#! break. There are 3 exciting photography products people talk about on the other forum and I can't talk about it here. This is so stupid.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back