Suggestions for Lens for Business Use

smackitsakic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a few suggestions on a lens that I need to purchase for the company that I work for. We are going to be buying a Canon EOS 60D or Rebel T3i body (depending on how many $$$'s) I can get and we need a lens to complement that camera body and a 430 exii speedlight.

We need something at least 18mm wide and somewhere between 55mm and 150mm zoom. Looking to spend in the range of $300 to $600, though will likely end up around the $400 mark.

Primary use of the lens will be to take photos in and around our facilities, either of staff or of various events that we host throughout the year. Low ambient light is a regular problem that we encounter, hense the 60D being on the list for its strong performance at high ISO's. We want something good quality that will get us better than average photos, but need to stick within our budget.

What is the most popular and best lens that would fit into this category? I've got around $1,500 to $2,000 to spend, $900 will go to the camera body, $350 will go to the flash, and $200 to miscellenaous (tripod, bag, memory cards) so that leaves me in the $400 to $500 range for a lens.

If you are going to have the flash, and are willing to use it, then you'll probably be fine with the usual 'kit' lens, which is the 18-55mm (on the Rebel) or the 18-135mm with the 60D.

If you want a lens that will be better for shooting in low ambient light, then look at something like the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8. (I've got one for sale in the buy/sell section).
I've also got a 17-85mm IS, that I'm selling, and would probably fit your needs...but doesn't have a large maximum aperture like the Tamron.

We want something good quality that will get us better than average photos
It's a better-than-average photographer that will get your better than average photos....not necessarily the gear you buy.

Go with a nifty fifty, it's hard to beat for the price. 50mm f1.8 , it's usually pretty sharp and is a good addition to most any kit lens. Shot wide open you can really soften the backgrounds making your subjects stand out more.

Go with a nifty fifty, it's hard to beat for the price. 50mm f1.8 , it's usually pretty sharp and is a good addition to most any kit lens. Shot wide open you can really soften the backgrounds making your subjects stand out more.

Sure, it's not a bad lens and a good buy and all, but it's not what the op was asking for. Nor is it his stated need.

Sure, it's not a bad lens and a good buy and all, but it's not what the op was asking for. Nor is it his stated need.

Yeah... but a 24-70 2.8 is out of his price point.

Most reactions

Back