Suggestions for lenses

billyboybad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Friends,

I have Nikon D40X & D7000, 18-55mm vr, 18-105mm vr, 55-200mm vr, 70-300mm vr.

Flash : yongnuo YN560 & YN565EX

I want to reduce my weight & hence want to go for less numbers.

Was looking for, nikon 18-300mm vr but I am really disappointed with it's review, am also looking for 18-200mm vr II, then I came across tamron 18-270mm, which is much economical.

I am looking for something like 18-300mm & 150-500mm, I am not a pro, please pardon me if I am not able to express in pro photo language, but I think people understand.

I am looking for vr & economy Lenses, non nikkor is also not a problem.

Last edited:
Why not just sell the 18-55 and 55-200?

"All-in-one" superzooms tend to be poor performers in the IQ arena.

"All-in-one" superzooms tend to be poor performers in the IQ arena.

+1 to what 480sparky said.

In general, the larger the zoom range (difference of focal lengths) in a lens, the more 'corners' had to be cut to keep the lens reasonably light weight, keep the price down, and produce an acceptable picture. I thought my Canon 18-135 was the cats' meow 18 months ago until I read a couple of reviews on it. That and needing a flash for indoor work with the 18-135 convinced me to upgrade to better glass.

I think the number of 'pretty good to better' super-zoom lenses with an 6x magification ratio (max focal length/min focal length) or greater is quite small. While it sounds like a great idea, the loss of image quality may exceed the 'value' of having that lens in the first place. In short, check all the reviews you can find about the lens(es) you are considering and make an informed decision.

Consider looking at the 28-300 VR Nikon lens. While it is not the fastest, the reviews seem to fare it better than both the 18-300 and 18-200 (and it is an FX rather than DX lens). It could possibly be one of the better "walk-about" lenses for both FX and DX users. Anything past 300mm and you start getting into the reasonably pricey environment, where your required specialty need to be considered (speed of lens, speed of focus, weight of equipment, etc). Better to more clearly specify your expectations and requirements..... It would then be easier for people to advise what they would do under those circumstances.......and why.....

Consider looking at the 28-300 VR Nikon lens. While it is not the fastest, the reviews seem to fare it better than both the 18-300 and 18-200 (and it is an FX rather than DX lens). It could possibly be one of the better "walk-about" lenses for both FX and DX users. Anything past 300mm and you start getting into the reasonably pricey environment, where your required specialty need to be considered (speed of lens, speed of focus, weight of equipment, etc). Better to more clearly specify your expectations and requirements..... It would then be easier for people to advise what they would do under those circumstances.......and why.....

My areas are day to day photography like parties, gatherings etc, marriage sometimes & nature.

My areas are day to day photography like parties, gatherings etc, marriage sometimes & nature.

Day-to day photography can generally be achieved with either the 18-55 or 18-105 lenses. The 70-300 is a great lens and I do not believe you will gain much by replacing what you already have with any of the suggested lenses (apart from a lighter wallet). What you seem to be missing is a fast lens lens and for that I would consider the 35mm f.18 DX. You also seem not to have a flash and that would add to the flexibility of your equipment, but it does add another piece and additional weight.....

If weight is a real issue, I would get rid of either the 18-55 or the 18-105, and the 55-200, while keeping the 70-300 for distance photography. However, I would consider getting a fast prime and an external flash for indoor and night-time opportunities. Only you can decide when enough is enough and when it is too much. All of the super zooms are much heavier than the lenses you have already have but the two benefits of moving to a super zoom is the fact that you would not have to change lenses and you would have less items to carry.

Lenses that have a reach beyond 300mm, whether prime or zoom, start to become expensive, as do any zoom lenses faster than those you already have. Your lenses are nowhere the top of the range, but they are both adequate and competent for what they are. Select two of those that best suit your needs in your photography, consider what you are missing and (put in the cupboard for a while to make sure you don't need them) then sell them.

^ Thanks for the reply, I have flash yongnuo YN560 & YN565EX, just updated, as I was seeking advice n suggestions for lenses.

Can u be more specific about the lenses apart from the 35mm, I am not fully professional but I always like to be fully equipped in whatever I do, maybe the budget won't allow me now.

Also been reading reviews of tamron 10-24 mm, how is that?

sent from my "NEXUS 7" using tapatalk pro

I think you can sell all that you have currently and get a 18-200mm, then a good prime, like a 35mm or 50mm.

I use the 28-300mm vr on FX and it's good so far on my d700. Sure all of my F2.8 lens beat it in terms of IQ, but for events and the ease of having an all-in-one lens, this lens performs great. I don't think the 18-200 DX lens is that far off in terms of quality. I think you should give it a second look. I got mine used. This is where you can get flexible and find one that you like. I settled for one that has use-marks and some damage to the hood mounting thread, but all functions performed as they should. The price was good. If you insist in getting a brand new one, then your options are really limited.

Also to mention that this lens AF is a bit slow, so if you are also doing sports or moving wild life, either you practice your panning well or you may have to go with a faster telephoto.

Oh, just to add another lens. Tokina F2.8 11-16mm. With that, you will have super wide angle to telephoto covered.

If you're going to stick for DX for a while, invest in the Nikon AF-S 17-55 F2.8G. Best lens I've ever owned, period!!!
I wasted so many years with those variable zoom's at F3.5-5.6.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back