I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been looking at some compact SLR systems. there are a LOT to choose from, and i am trying to decide which one will work best-ish for me. (within a few hundred dollar budget)
I guess I just want something I can bring when we take the kid out that's a little easier to manage than dragging all our DSLR gear around.
something smaller and lighter, but still giving me the option of swapping lenses if I want to.
I was originally looking at something like the Pentax Q, since you can get the 12.4 MP version pretty cheap now, but after looking around a bit, i THINK what I really want is one with an aps-c sensor, instead of one of the smaller sensors like the Q has. obviously its going to cost more money, but I don't mind getting a model from a few years back, and/or going refurb/used.

so...my question is...Just for out and about candid type shooting, what would be some good mirrorless cameras to look at that have an aps-c sensor?
I want to keep it around a few hundred bucks. nothing TERRIBLY fancy. my only other requirement is that I want a camera with a hot shoe mount. a REGULAR hot shoe mount, not a proprietary mount like the nikon 1's.
I suppose this also begs the question, ARE the mirrorless cameras with the aps-c sensors better than the smaller sensor cameras like the pentax Q?
I have been trying to look up reviews on different cameras, but it seems that every camera has its own fan base giving it rave reviews over its competitors, and im not convinced that comparing tech specs alone tells me enough to make an informed decision. not to mention the HUGE selection of mirrorless options available.

anyone have some experiences with mirrorless cameras that fit my criteria? good or bad?
Feedback and suggestions most welcome.

-Jason

I am sorry I am not answering exactly to your question but for a second camera that is perfect for use by somebody that loves photography yet its small, comfortable and is good in low light consider the Canon G15.

I keep recommending this camera simply because I own it and love it, its just a great camera that I enjoy using when I don't feel like schlepping around my D7100 (which doesn't happened much).
Most of the time my wife uses it so its great for the advance photographer and for those who just want to use it on auto.
Its not a mirrorless its a P&S but I think its worth considering.

I went over entirely to the Oly OMD 5 just because of size and weight.
I carry an EP3 with Panasonic 20 in my car at all times.

Great clarity, good IQ and fast to use.

An APS-C should be better yes. There's no particular reason why it wouldn't be that I can think of.

In fact, I'm not sure why they don't make mirrorless cameras with full frame.

I'll second the G15 or LX7 (or the equiv Nikon, ?7100?) suggestion. They work like real cameras and still fit in a pocket. As a photographer, you'll find they are the snappy cams you actually like.

Secondarily, a GF1 (or whatever the new version is) w/ a 20mm pancake. Fits (barely) in a pocket for daily use... and when you want it has pretty good zooms and an EVF that can be added at which point it shoots like a small awkward 35mm.

My LX5 gets used the most. Then the GF1 w/ the 20 or the 7-14. For me... the "larger" mirrorless options are too big to bother with. I have a GH2. Hardly ever take it out. If the GF1 won't do, I end up taking the Nikon D2x and the big lenses.

These aren't Dx cameras, but even the bigger u43 are too big to really make them "take everywhere" portable.

An APS-C sensor will always be better than a smaller sensor. but then again, size is what you're looking to save. I think you just have to suck it up on the IQ and remind yourself that actually having a "really good" picture from a camera you had with you, is better than not having the "excetional" picture you could have taken with the camera you didn't have with you.

An APS-C sensor will always be better than a smaller sensor. but then again, size is what you're looking to save. I think you just have to suck it up on the IQ and remind yourself that actually having a "really good" picture from a camera you had with you, is better than not having the "excetional" picture you could have taken with the camera you didn't have with you.
An APS-C sensor is like... an inch by less than an inch in size.

And with a typical mount diameter of approx. 1.5 to 2 inches, the sensor is smaller than the mount, so it can be any distance from the mount without worrying about the mount getting in the way.

Thus, an APS-C being too large for a pocket is purely a failure of engineering cleverness, not anything guaranteed or inherent to the sensor size. That doesn't mean that there are any products that do this, but unless you know for sure that there aren't it's worth looking around more and actually comparing the dimension specs.

There are also a few APS-C mirrorless cameras apparently slated to come out next year, which may do better at making them as small as they could be.

im not necessarily looking for a "pocket" camera. just something with interchangeable lenses. small enough to be easily carried, but i don't want to sacrifice TOO much sensor size and image quality. M4/3 would probably be the smallest sensor size i would go.
for size comparison, I have been looking at the Samsung NX series. the NX100's are fairly inexpensive, and offer a APS-C size sensor.
It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest, and the NX100's 12.4 MP is probably plenty for what we would use this camera for.
Im just overwhelmed by the sheer volume of mirrorless options.

we already have a "pocket" P&S in the form of a Samsung WB150F
(its what i use for all my donation pictures)
But, I really want something between that and our DSLR's, and still have interchangeable lenses. (m4/3 or APS-C sensor)

APS-C size is 23.60x15.60mm. the Samsung NX series sensors are 23.4x15.6, which is close enough for me, and bigger than m4/3 which is 17.30x13.00mm.

soooo..there area already plenty of mirrorless cameras with a APS-C size sensors in them.

Do Canon EOS M cameras communicate natively with normal EOS lenses, if you have an electronic connection adapter? If so, and if you own lots of Canon stuff already, that would be a significant bonus to the M option.

You can of course adapt any SLR lens to any mirrorless, pretty much, physically, but having full electronic communication would be a lot better (if that is actually possible, I don't know)

Do Canon EOS M cameras communicate natively with normal EOS lenses, if you have an electronic connection adapter? If so, and if you own lots of Canon stuff already, that would be a significant bonus to the M option.

You can of course adapt any SLR lens to any mirrorless, pretty much, physically, but having full electronic communication would be a lot better (if that is actually possible, I don't know)

It does via a adapter

Amazon.com: Canon EOS M Mount Adapter: CANON: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
we shoot nikon.
since it doesn't have but 2 lenses of its own right now, im not sure its that great of an option since we dont have regular Canon glass to use on it.

Most reactions

Back