Suggestions for the holy trinity but f/4 versions?

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can someone suggest weather-proof lenses with f/4 maximum aperture in the holy trinity range? The lenses do not need to be Nikon lenses, any brand is okay. To be used with Nikon D800, so high resolving power would be fine.

AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 VR

Its not a fixed f4, but close enough. Its sharp, and pretty cheap on the used market, too.

Tamron 70-210mm f4 VC

AFAICS best telezoom of this kind. Thought of getting one myself, as an upgrade to my AF-S 70-200mm f4 VR, but I just dont care enough about zooms.

P.s.: FYI, no camera or lens is "weatherproof". Thats a marketing trick from the camera companies. No company guarantees you anything. If your gear gets trouble, you're on your own.

Last edited:
Nikons newer 24-120 f4 is nice, as is the obvious choice of a 70-200 f4, although that causes a bit of overlap.

Tamron makes a 24-70 f4 lens that is pretty damn nice if you want to go a more traditional trinity route.
sigma makes a nice 12-24 f4.

why the f/4 limitation? size?

OP might have had to wait too long for an answer and looked elsewhere.

I dont support the 24-120 recommendation.

For some reason I forgot the wide angle. Here again I'd go for f3.5-4.5 instead, with the AF-S 18-35mm f3.5-4.5. There is an AF-S 16-35mm f4 VR, I own that, but frankly its not worth it. Its almost double the price, optically slightly inferior to the 18-35/3.5-4.5 non-VR, and really the only reason I prefered it was because back then I wanted VR for better video.

If you want more wide angle than that, only f2.8 options remain.

Unfortunately Tamron has already made TWO versions of their brilliant 15-30/2.8 VC now, but they still owe us a 15-30/4 of any kind. Nikon sadly also hasnt reacted so far to the Canon EF 11-24/4.

Most reactions

Back