Suggestions ... MF e-mount ?

dxqcanada

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, so I am primarily (at present) a wildlife shooter with an A77m2 ... but I also have a NEX-6. I've been having this craving of just shooting with the NEX and a manual focus lens (I miss the feeling of manually focusing).
I have MD Minolta lenses, but I am thinking of sticking one e-mount lens on it ... kinda like when I had my Canon NF-1 with a 50 ... but I am torn about what lens.
I like the size of the Voigtlander lenses, but I really am too cheap to spend the $$$ on that glass.
Any suggestions for on cheap walkaround MF lens in E/FE mount for APS-C ?

"7artisans Photoelectric 55mm f/1.4" is well reviewed. It costs around $120 US. It has pretty good center sharpness and does fairly well in the corners stopped down.

"Opteka 35mm f/1.7 Lens" (I think this is B&H's house brand?) is about $90 US. I have never seen this brand reviewed, but I think it might be a Meike.
[2018-10-08 corrected "Meike"]

Last edited:
Yeah, I have seen many of the 35mm in different branding, and I too think it is a Meike.
Reviews of that lens mention how soft the corners are ... but for under $100 it might just be a "good enough" lens.

I did some poking around. The only text review of the Meike I found was "ephotozine" but it was done on Micro 4:3, so it did not cover the width of the lens that you would use on APS-C.

I did however find a video comparision by "technologymafia" that included the "Neewer" as well as a 7artisan's 35mm 1.2. The fellow doing "technologymafia" is not as knowledgeable as I would prefer, but he makes an honest effort, and his videos show enough that I can draw my own conclusions. In the case of this video, I do disagree with his opinion. The 7artisans lens has very bad corners, and badly enough that I would prefer the Neewer / Meike lens.
[2018-10-12 corrected "technologymafia" name]

"7artisans 35mm F1.2 vs Neewer 35mm F1.7"

Last edited:
Yeah, the corners really suffer with the 7artisans.
Most other reviews also show that this lens is very susceptible for flaring like a mad fool.

The 7artisans Photoelectric 35mm f/2 appears to be a very interesting lens ... I suspect they made this one at a higher level since they made this in M-mount.

I got a rokinon 85 f1.5 for my a7r ii. It's nice. Good color and bokeh. Pretty cheap. New about 300 or you can find used ones too for a bit less.

I watched his video...brief...but the lens looked handsome, and did well across the frame by f/5.6. The corner fall-off he mentioned at the wider aperture settings...easy to correct for in Lightroom. I dunno...looks like fun to me!

Most reactions

Back