Suggestions on buying new equipment

curly

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok guys, i am in the market for a new DSLR. I currently use a 35mm SLR but have recently been asked to do a few engagement shoots and other misc. stuff like promotional photos for a friend of mine for his DJ business. With all of these request, I figured I could invest in a DSLR.

I have been looking at the Nikon D80. I have checked out bhphotovideo.com and have found this kit and wondered what you guys thought about the lenses that it comes with.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582224-REG/Nikon_9658_D80_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

I am also just considering buying the camera body and finding lenses separate.

Any suggestions on the lenses that I should look at. I do mainly portrait photography (i.e. engagements, senior photos, family photos...). I figured a good mid-range lens with zooming capabilities would suit me along with a wide angle lens.

What would you recommend that wouldn't hurt the pocketbook too much.

Basically, for now I am wanting a portrait setup with the D80 and probably a flash, although I have always used available light with my film camera when shooting.

Last edited:
Not a very good lens imo, its also being misrepresented in the ad, as its a DX designation the crop factor has already been accounted for so its not going to provide 82 - 300mm at all, its a 55-200 and thats what you get. As its also a "slow" lens with vr available to only certain bodies I'd also check out if it works on the D80 as in low light situations it'll be useless to hand hold. H

The 55-200 is an excellent lens for the price. Very sharp considering it's a slower lens. But VR makes up for the loss of speed. VR will work with any of the newer Nikon DSLRs made after 2003.

The D80 has okay high ISO performance, but get some speedlights and bounce light all over the place and you'll be fine.

So if I were to just get the D80 body, what are a couple of lenses that you could recommend for use in mainly individual, couple, and small group portrait work. I'm not too worried about a zoom lens currently

And on my first post, I meant to post this:

Nikon | D80 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-55mm VR Lens | 9658

Last edited:
A great lens to get is a prime 50mm 1.8 lens. It has a very wide aperture, allowing for good shooting in low light and good DOP. At 50mm on a crop sensor camera, its equivalent to an 80mm on a full frame, which is a good focal lenght for portraits. Its a cheap build, but if you are careful with your stuff, that shouldn't make a huge difference.

Best thing is that you can get them new for about $100. Its a must have for anyone starting out and many people end up keeping it for a long time.

Not a very good lens imo, its also being misrepresented in the ad, as its a DX designation the crop factor has already been accounted for so its not going to provide 82 - 300mm at all, its a 55-200 and thats what you get. As its also a "slow" lens with vr available to only certain bodies I'd also check out if it works on the D80 as in low light situations it'll be useless to hand hold. H

Sorry, that's incorrect. The DX designation applies only to the image circle, not the focal length. That lens will act as an 82-300mm lens.

Please read the Nikon features.

I'd also check out if it works on the D80 as in low light situations it'll be useless to hand hold. H

WTF????

So this is the 50mm lens you are referring to?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nikkor-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00005LEN4%3FSubscriptionId%3D02ZH6J1W0649DTNS6002%26tag%3Ddpsweddinglenses-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00005LEN4]Amazon.com: Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Most reactions

Back