Suggestions on lighting for someone with deep-set eyes

JerryW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If someone has deep-set eyes, their eyes always look dark comapred with everything else. Flash straight on removes the 'darkness' but flattens everything. What do you recommend? Lighting placement, continuous versus flash, etc.?

Thanks, my friends.

Jerry

That's such a broad question that we could give you tons of different answers.
In general I'd say underexpose slightly and use a fill flash. Part of the problem is that the shadow is natural. It is going to be darker in the eye socket than it is on the rest of the face if you are looking at the person naturally. So somewhat darker is correct exposure.
You don't say what you have for options as far as lights are concerned either? are you working with strobes? speedlight? on camera flash?

Fill light...whether it's flash or something else.

I think I would try a low-power, snooted flash.
Assuming the intended shot is to catch both eyes, would a snoot be adequate? I was thinking more on the lines of a grid or perhaps barn doors.

If their eye sockets are dark, your light source is to high, like when you bounce light off a ceiling.

You can leave the high light source but you then need a second, lower light source to fill the shadows in the eye sockets.

The fill light does not necessarily have to light each eye socket equally.

If you are bouncing light off a ceiling, you need to use a bounce card to direct part of the light forward for fill.

Great feedback as always. Thanks, everyone.The question is not really what I have to work with, rather what the ideal is. I can then purchase what I need to get the best shots.I have also looked into makeup techniques to lighten areas but that is not always an option.So, if you had the resources required to purchase what would be best, I am hearing typical lighting with added fill lighting focused on the eyes. Right?Thanks.Jerry

Great advice given from others. Another thing you can do is to take a few shots of the eyes well lit then use post processing to exchange the dark eyes for the well lit eyes. Just another suggestion...

Try a gold reflector.

skieur

All good suggestions. I need to do some video work as well so post-processing would work well for stills but be more tedious for video.

The reflector idea is basically to create a fill for the eyes. Correct?

Jerry

All good suggestions. I need to do some video work as well so post-processing would work well for stills but be more tedious for video.

The reflector idea is basically to create a fill for the eyes. Correct?

Jerry

Yes, but it can also warm up the skin colour a little.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back