Suggestions on new lens

Rob_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I'm thinking about pick up the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM and was wondering if anybody uses it, has used it, and what are your opinions, or suggestions? I'm looking for a general all purpose lens, and can't quite spring for a decent Telephoto lens yet. I really do all kinds of shots from landscape, to indoor, to -some- portraits.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It's a bit of an old lens, but it's long been considered a good 'all purpose' lens.

Personally, the range isn't ideal on most DSLR cameras. 28mm just isn't wide enough for me.
Canon also makes (made) a 'digital' version of this lens....the EF-S 17-85mm IS USM. It's a very similar lens, just in an EF-S version with a shorter focal length.

If you want more on the long end, then the 28-135mm would be better for you. If you don't want to be without the wider angle of view, then I'd suggest the 17-85mm.

With either lens, the unfortunate part is that the maximum aperture isn't very large. If you want something that does give you the option of a larger max aperture, check out the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8. You don't get as much range, but the larger aperture is a great tool to have.

I'd really like a lens that will go with me with a full frame camera, so I'm trying to avoid EF-S lenses. On the Tamron side would that be a good lens for both FF and CS?

Edit: I also already have the Canon 1.8 50MM, I just always find myself going "Man, I need something longer", and I really can't drop $700 [h=1]Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM[/h]

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
On the Tamron side would that be a good lens for both FF and CS?
No, that Tamron lens is a Di II, which is basically their version of EF-S.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back