Suggestions regarding Nikkor 18-105 kit lens

grantr44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a quick question for everyone out there:

I am considering selling my Nikkor 18-105 kit lens that came with my D7000 and using the money towards a better 2.8 wide angle zoom. I'm not sure if I'm going to have enough money right now for a Nikkor that fits the bill, but I've read a lot of good things about the Tokina 11-16 2.8 and am considering that lens as my wide-angle zoom.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Do you have any other lenses?

My 18-105mm kit lens is one I would never get rid of . yes it is a kit lens ,but it is a fantastic lens when not in extreme low light .

I sold my 18-105. FYI I got around $260 for it, it was in perfect condition and worked great.

Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8
Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 OS OR Nikon 17-55mm F/2.8
Sigma 50-150mm F/2.8 OS

Mark

If you don't have any other lenses, I suggest not to get the tokina. It is a nice lens but its too wide to always be using in my opinion. What kind of photography do you do?

If you don't have any other lenses, I suggest not to get the tokina. It is a nice lens but its too wide to always be using in my opinion. What kind of photography do you do?

You know why most would shun me for saying it, I actually use my 11-16 a lot, distortion can be corrected easily, and by no means would I walk around with it, but I find myself having a lot of fun taking photos with it more so then my other lenses like my 35, 50, 80-200, or my 18-105 kit lens, a lot of times I don't correct the distortion anyways as I think sometimes it can give a neat effect.

Anyways, the 18-105 is a great lens, just not fast like its more exspensive counterparts, but I've taken some very sharp nice shots with it. I personally love my 11-16, but if that kit lens is your only lens, I really think I'd get a prime lens or two first

shady195 said:
You know why most would shun me for saying it, I actually use my 11-16 a lot, distortion can be corrected easily, and by no means would I walk around with it, but I find myself having a lot of fun taking photos with it more so then my other lenses like my 35, 50, 80-200, or my 18-105 kit lens, a lot of times I don't correct the distortion anyways as I think sometimes it can give a neat effect.

Anyways, the 18-105 is a great lens, just not fast like its more exspensive counterparts, but I've taken some very sharp nice shots with it. I personally love my 11-16, but if that kit lens is your only lens, I really think I'd get a prime lens or two first

Pass along the 80-200 :)

The sigma 10-20 is more of a walk around than the 11-16. 20mm is Actually quite usable for people vs 16 where their limbs get a lot more distorted. Why not get a used Nikon 18-55 vr? It's actually pretty good lens for $100. 18 gets wide enough to start, save the rest for a 11-16 and a fast prime.

Right now, all I have is the 18-105 kit lens and a Sigma 150-500mm as wildlife photography is what I am passionate about. Secondary to that would be shooting landscapes, since being out in Montana searching for wildlife will also give me plenty of opportunity to get some great landscape shots.

I think I agree about keeping the 18-105 and investing in a fast prime for now. Maybe a 35 or a 50. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Don't get me wrong, I love my tokina too. its a great lens, but I'm just saying it wouldn't be my "If I could only have one lens" lens.

I agree with the OP and some others, he should really be going for a nice prime first. ...plus they're cheaper. =P

I had to get the 18-105 with my D7000 as it was so hard to get just the body I got the kit.
Ya know I got to like that little lens. I found it to be very sharp at f8 and the VR was handy.
For what they will give you for it I would say hang on to it. Then get a 35mm f/1.8 as your prime.
MK

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back