Suggestions! :)

eyeadoreu_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone :) I came here because I'm getting into a photography, (still experimenting & researching) and I'd like to know everyone & anyone's open thoughts & opinions! I like to take cityscape & portraits, would a Nikon n5005 be a good camera to start out with as a newbie? If so, please leave suggestions and comments below! Thanks :)

I would suggest starting out with digital rather than film.

If you've not got any lenses yet then I'd suggest any of the entry level kits that Canon or Nikon offer, also worth looking out for are recently discontinued models like the Nikon 3100, 5100 and 7000 (don't know about specific Canon models, I'm a Nikon man :) )

There's plenty of bargains to be had secondhand too, just familiarise yourself with the models so you know you're not buying a turkey. Sites like DPReview are a good source of camera info.

I am not familiar with the N5005 but IMO if you want to learn from film I suggest look into a Nikon N80 a poor mans F100.It is a fantastic camera with plenty of custom functions and easy to use. I just sold one that was mint - Like new with the battery Grip and SB23 Flash to a student.

I have 2 lenses. From the Nikon can. If I got a Nikon dslr (just the body), would it make sense to put my lenses that I have on that one?

Depending on body and lenses.Example Nikon D3100 D5100 as mention above dont have Autofocus motor built in the body.So if you want to have autofocus you will have to have a lens with a AF motor built in,otherwise you will only have manual focus.I have a Nikon D7000 DSLR that has built AF motor in the body so I can use my Nikon 50mm 1.8D prime that I used on my film SLR.

Everyone has their own opinion on the matter, I disagree with the going digital part. I think film would be a stellar way for you to learn how to use your camera.

You will have to provide film and have it developed before you figured out your mistakes. The great part about this, is it costs you money when you screw up, so you tend to try to figure it out much faster than just taking an image and deleting it off of an SD Card. However, I would advise starting out with a Nikon N55, N65, or N80. this way you will have the basic functions and metering as a dSLR. This will make the transfer to digital much smoother. Not only this, but you can use your existing Nikon lenses with these cameras.

As said before, with only 36 exposures per roll of film, you will be much more careful about how the shots are done, because you will want them to turn out great. So, I think film is a great route to go.

-------------------------------

I started digital and went film later. I now own a ton of film equipment. I wish I would have started with film. I like to shoot with much older cameras, but I also own a Nikon N65. I love the camera to death. Here are some of my others:

http://pholectorsbag.wordpress.com

Last edited:
I have 2 lenses. From the Nikon can. If I got a Nikon dslr (just the body), would it make sense to put my lenses that I have on that one?

Yes, if you've already got Nikon glass that you want to keep then a Nikon body is the best way to go. Mind you Nikon lenses can work on Canon bodies if you get an adaptor so your options are still open. If you had Canon lenses then you're committed to Canon bodies.

Yes, if you've already got Nikon glass that you want to keep then a Nikon body is the best way to go. Mind you Nikon lenses can work on Canon bodies if you get an adaptor so your options are still open. If you had Canon lenses then you're committed to Canon bodies.

That generates a problem if he purchases an entry level dSLR body. He will have to have AF-S lenses. This was my point in referring the 35mm bodies that I recommended... all of them have internal focus motors.

Last edited:
Depending on body and lenses.Example Nikon D3100 D5100 as mention above dont have Autofocus motor built in the body.So if you want to have autofocus you will have to have a lens with a AF motor built in,otherwise you will only have manual focus.I have a Nikon D7000 DSLR that has built AF motor in the body so I can use my Nikon 50mm 1.8D prime that I used on my film SLR.

Just bought my girlfriend the N80, thing is a stellar camera!

Also, if you have the money, digital is easier, but not necessary to start out with. In fact, you'll probably spend a lot more time composing each shot when each click costs you money for the film. I got into shooting by using an old Minolta Maxxum that belonged to my mom. Got a 50mm lens for it and went to town. Had a lot of fun with that camera. I would get them developed straight to CD so I could play with them and decide which ones I wanted on print later.

Everyone has their own opinion on the matter, I disagree with the going digital part. I think film would be a stellar way for you to learn how to use your camera.

You will have to provide film and have it developed before you figured out your mistakes. The great part about this, is it costs you money when you screw up, so you tend to try to figure it out much faster than just taking an image and deleting it off of an SD Card. However, I would advise starting out with a Nikon N55, N65, or N80. this way you will have the basic functions and metering as a dSLR. This will make the transfer to digital much smoother. Not only this, but you can use your existing Nikon lenses with these cameras.

As said before, with only 36 exposures per roll of film, you will be much more careful about how the shots are done, because you will want them to turn out great. So, I think film is a great route to go.

-------------------------------

I started digital and went film later. I now own a ton of film equipment. I wish I would have started with film. I like to shoot with much older cameras, but I also own a Nikon N65. I love the camera to death. Here are some of my others:

Vintage Camera Collection | A look into the camera bag of Aaron Lockhart, owner of Life Like Photo
I agree,In fact I still have a N75 I purchased brand new when it first came out and added a tamron 28-200 glass, the battery grip and only shot 3 rolls of film through it.Brand new still dust and scratch free.I love it and will not part with it until I am dead then one of kids will get it.I love film and it is a good teaching tool,specially when a roll of film gets ruined not to do that again.

That generates a problem if he purchases an entry level dSLR body. He will have to have AF-S lenses. This was my point in referring the 35mm bodies that I recommended... all of them have internal focus motors.

Of course I knew that...:blushing:

Most reactions

Back